Electric front wheel

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took blue Meanie for a 2km ride with the young bloke this morning, we were passed by 2 teenagers on petrol powered pushbikes, doing 50km +, I met up with them at the local boat ramp and took some pics,
To my surprise the engineering behind them was simple, the motor's were bolted to the frame and no brackets welded in or even needed,
But ..... they both made a heck of a noise, way too loud for what I'm after and the top speed is too fast, I would have to gear it right down to 9/52 or higher and, 35km is my bikes top speed due to the rear axle not quite spinning true, its unnoticeable till you hit 30km then at 40km theres significant shuddering through the bike,
Around 15-20 mph is more than fast enough,
So after looking around at various options I came across an electric front wheel, it just bolts straight in, 26", 48v ,1500w and comes with full kit @,$300 AU, its rated to 200kg maximum load rating, bike n myself weigh in at 140kg with batteries, so fingers crossed, I'm not after speed only relaxing vibe, bit faster than running . Heres the link to the front wheel I'm looking at, "WARNING" it's an eBay Link,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1321127...=2349624&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Attachments

• PXL_20220909_220525263.jpg
    PXL_20220909_220525263.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20220909_220754945.jpg
    PXL_20220909_220754945.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Are you telling me that loon on the blue motorcycle is doing 50+ kph, without rear brakes?!!
No thats my bike in the background, those kids were doing 50km with no pedaling chain only direct drive to the rear! and just standard front pinch brakes! tough kids from school of hard knocks!
If I add the petrol motor i'll be gearing it down a bit! try n knock 15 km off top speed, this will help acceleration as my bike will be 50kg's once a motor of any type is added!

I was passed by 2 kids on electric dirt bikes on a narrow bike track a while back doing at least 50kmh. The same path is used by school kids. Fortunately I heard these clowns coming and gave them room. Later on I caught up to them as the police pulled them up on the footpath in a busy shopping area. Needless to say I was relieved they hadn’t injured anyone.

Last edited:
I know bro they were the loudest things and I did say to myself someone's gonna call The copper's Ha ha ha
It looked like they had removed the mufflers, if I went down this path I'd use the muffler perhaps even make an extension, quieter

No thats my bike in the background
Sorry, I meant the blue mountain bike with motor. It has no back brakes. I followed your build, if I called you nuts, it'd only be in the fondest way. Sincerest apologies if I inadvertently insulted you!

Sorry, I meant the blue mountain bike with motor. It has no back brakes. I followed your build, if I called you nuts, it'd only be in the fondest way. Sincerest apologies if I inadvertently insulted you!
All good mate, the other bike had only rear rim pinch brakes and nothing on the front!
yeah i'd call that pretty crazy!
im warming towards the front hub 1500W wheel! Im working on total weight being so high the bike will struggle to make the the maximum 45kph , maybe downhill but im really limited to 35kph max. if this works out as well as im envisioning this could be my commute to work which is 5km with minimal hills!
wouldnt that be great, charge it up while im working LOL
Cost wise the electric hub ends up being in excess of the $800 mark so that has be thought through,
Cost of the petrol motor is about $170, but that will come with modification issue's as they're only set up for a narrow bike wheel and not a huge car wheel so a step around system for the chain or I mount the motor off center to one side so the drive is lined up.... Hmmmm I think not!
Might just save my monies for a few weeks.

Took blue Meanie for a 2km ride with the young bloke this morning, we were passed by 2 teenagers on petrol powered pushbikes, doing 50km +, I met up with them at the local boat ramp and took some pics,
To my surprise the engineering behind them was simple, the motor's were bolted to the frame and no brackets welded in or even needed,
But ..... they both made a heck of a noise, way too loud for what I'm after and the top speed is too fast, I would have to gear it right down to 9/52 or higher and, 35km is my bikes top speed due to the rear axle not quite spinning true, its unnoticeable till you hit 30km then at 40km theres significant shuddering through the bike,
Around 15-20 mph is more than fast enough,
So after looking around at various options I came across an electric front wheel, it just bolts straight in, 26", 48v ,1500w and comes with full kit @,$300 AU, its rated to 200kg maximum load rating, bike n myself weigh in at 140kg with batteries, so fingers crossed, I'm not after speed only relaxing vibe, bit faster than running . Heres the link to the front wheel I'm looking at, "WARNING" it's an eBay Link,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1321127...=2349624&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
I have a 1000w 48v front hub motor on an Electra beach cruiser. It's certainly the easiest conversion possible and rides great to 31mph. Any concern about weight distribution is addressed by putting the battery on a rear rack, mine is on the down post with no issues. Go for it.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20230426_073329_Chrome.jpg
what I like is the idler pulley to tension the chain, I have a Giant Cypress that I'd like to (someday) do away with the deraileurs make it into a single speed or build a wheel around an internal geared hub, it has vertical dropouts, so would need a way to tension the chain, maybe something like this ? 🤔

Latest posts

Back