Electric Led Sled

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. Been quietly browsing the site and finished up a highly-customized Hard Times frame from The Cruiser Shop in Campbell California that my son and I motorized to look like a 1950s lead sled. Really happy with how it turned out so we wrote a blog post about the design and build process.

Led Sled Blog Post

BADF1AED-558D-422C-AD4B-7862EDB6D916.jpeg

Hey there. Been quietly browsing the site and finished up a highly-customized Hard Times frame from The Cruiser Shop in Campbell California that my son and I motorized to look like a 1950s lead sled. Really happy with how it turned out so we wrote a blog post about the design and build process.

Led Sled Blog Post

View attachment 151843
That’s unique, how cool is this. I can just picture you casually passing all the weight weenies with their stupid looking race wanna be costumes. Ha, what fun.

I like this project and presentation very much. You are fortunate to have a frame builder that works with your requirements. The blog is also done well . Perhaps the pictures were of the earlier phase of development. My concern is that I do not see the mandatory installation of torque arms on the motor axle, to prevent axle rotation in the dropouts. Since this is a direct drive motor, the controller can be programmed for regenerative braking. That is a pleasure to have. Especially variable regen. Actually should have 2 torque arms, one on each side , for regen.

I like this project and presentation very much. You are fortunate to have a frame builder that works with your requirements. The blog is also done well . Perhaps the pictures were of the earlier phase of development. My concern is that I do not see the mandatory installation of torque arms on the motor axle, to prevent axle rotation in the dropouts. Since this is a direct drive motor, the controller can be programmed for regenerative braking. That is a pleasure to have. Especially variable regen. Actually should have 2 torque arms, one on each side , for regen.

Torque Arms: When ordering all of the electronics, Grin customer service was fantastic. They answered questions every step of the way. Pretty sure I asked about torque arms and they didn’t feel they were necessary with a rear one, at least that’s what my vague recollection is. The rear hub has beefy hooky washers on each side and, after a thousand miles, I’ve never felt a sliver of slippage or had to adjust the chain, which should be a good indicator.

Regen braking: Yeah, it’s possible and was supposed to be a phase two after everything was initially stable. But the front end fork/tire/hub/brake rebuild has to happen first. It all sorta works but is finicky and I don’t like finicky stuff:)

Latest posts

Back