Electroplating parts?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 35233

Deactivated account
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to make some parts gold to match some market pieces without an airbrush setup but I'm having no luck. Closest was Duplicolor but even that has a slightly green tint to it. Has anyone here ever electroplated parts successfully, gold or otherwise, and how much solution did it cost you? Did it come out as evenly as expected? Did you put a protective coating over it? Most of the information I'm finding is marketing but no comparisons as to color or effectiveness so any suggestions as to particular solutions and experiences would help. Thanks.
IMG_2391.jpg

Last edited:
I made my own solutions and did zinc, copper, nickel. Never got a true bright nickel finish. Having a Large variable power supply was the key to success, battery charger isn't going to give the results you want.

Caswell kits are the go-to, but I wasn't paying that price.

Having a Large variable power supply was the key to success, battery charger isn't going to give the results you want.
Thank you! [said the man in the desert as he reached for a glass of wisdom] I appreciate any and all help I get and have gotten here. I'd read that computer chargers are variable, or don't pulse, thus providing an even coating(?) How do I know how much power is too much, insufficient or even dangerous?

Did you brush-on or dip? I'm hoping to brush for sake of price, assuming it's less wasteful.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back