Elevated

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work on both rides mate. I have a decent 80’s Sakae mtb crank set with 2 chainrings if you want it. Can send you pics tomorrow?

Last edited:
IMG_4563.jpeg
IMG_4564.jpeg

That's a cool peice. Love the black ascents.

I'm likely going to use up my Biopace set on this build. Been saving them up for a build that suits.
One item I am lacking for the build is a cool set of brake levers for the canti's.
Sorry man, can’t help with the levers. I have found them on used 80-90’s mtb’s. Alternatively try ebay.com for vintage dia-compe.

One item I am lacking for the build is a cool set of brake levers for the canti's.
What makes it extra tricky is that in this era, lots of shifters and levers were integrated in one pod, and the shifter component has failed by now. I'm switching all my retro rides to thumb shifters, they'll last for ever. There's a brief window of opportunity where the change to gripeShift had happened but v brakes weren't prevalent yet. This is your sweet spot: quality bikes with gripeShift and cantis

What makes it extra tricky is that in this era, lots of shifters and levers were integrated in one pod, and the shifter component has failed by now. I'm switching all my retro rides to thumb shifters, they'll last for ever. There's a brief window of opportunity where the change to gripeShift had happened but v brakes weren't prevalent yet. This is your sweet spot: quality bikes with gripeShift and cantis
Yes, that's the issue. Integrated shifters. I also prefer to run thumbies

Spent a few hours today cleaning and polishing.
BB installed. crankset fitted up, with Biopace chain rings. Derailleur's on.

Now, thoughts on the blue cable housing?
It ties in with the blue splatter on the frame, but I'm not fully sold on it. What say you?
View attachment 231775View attachment 231776View attachment 231777View attachment 231778
Are you able to get neon pink and green cable housings as well? You've got 3 colors splattered on the frame and 3 cables running the length of the frame, so why not have 3 different color cable housings to tie it all together?

Are you able to get neon pink and green cable housings as well? You've got 3 colors splattered on the frame and 3 cables running the length of the frame, so why not have 3 different color cable housings to tie it all together?
I am considering that. Not sure if it might be a bit much, taking away from the coolness of the frame?
Maybe black cable housings to let the frame speak louder?

Latest posts

Back