Elgin 1930s?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Hello everyone! Picked this up the other day. Badged Elgin. Pretty sure most of it is not original. Not original paint either. Any info anyone could give me would be appreciated. Thanks

As you suspect, not a whole lot is Elgin here! Frame and badge. Serial dates it to '39. It's more Schwinn with the fork, wheels, tires, fenders all coming from some deluxe postwar ballooner. Then the ever popular AMF chainring and 60s universal parts for the rest.

The chain ring with the stars in it is from a 1960 - 1961 AFM Roadmaster Skyrider. The rear dropouts are designed for a drop stand, not a kick stand, which has been added later. The springer fork looks like a Schwinn (can't recall seeing an Elgin with a springer.) I'd call it a Frankenbike and ride it like I stole it.

The chain ring with the stars in it is from a 1960 - 1961 AFM Roadmaster Skyrider. The rear dropouts are designed for a drop stand, not a kick stand, which has been added later. The springer fork looks like a Schwinn (can't recall seeing an Elgin with a springer.) I'd call it a Frankenbike and ride it like I stole it.

Yeah I'm going to take it all apart and clean it up. Probably take the rack off and put a different seat on and ride it.

Latest posts

Back