Elgin?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Need a good Elgin person. Not sure but was told this was an Elgin..20-30's..
see pics for HELP!!
4e673c8f-6690-487f-a231-df9d7c7da005_zps4d3bf9c9.jpg

el2_zpsdf733dc4.jpg

el4_zps599cab51.jpg

IMG_2381_zpsd13905e8.jpg

The Head Tube is double-butted.....thin where the cups fit in, then thick, then thin. There are also 1/4 inch pressure relief holes thru and into the top and down tubes....Any help on make/year model is appreciated...skpc

Last edited:
I guess it must be an alien frame from a planet in another solar system......no-one? I have looked for a place for Elgin serial numbers on the net, and have had no luck. Where are the Elgin experts?

Elgin was just a badge used by Sears, from around 1908-1946. They sourced bikes from several companies. From the 20s to 1938, most were made by Westfield/Columbia. And their serial #s start with a letter. Your frame doesn't shout Westfield though. This era of bike is one of the hardest to figure out, as most frames are very similar! So your frame could possibly be a Davis/Dayton, Snyder, or Colson. -Adam

Thanks so much RT!! If I do find out the result, I will post here again.......SKPC

I took your advice and looked a bit harder. Found these photos of 30's elgin ballooners..
This 1st one with the three stripe design is exactly the pinstripe design that my frame had on it, except mine had a housepaint/repaint job on it in another color than the orig red. ....
36-8Elg_zpsd5f0f7fe.jpg

36Elgin_zpsbea56a33.jpg

Elginsim_zps2a0a1f04.jpg

I then came across this Iver Johnson frame...year unknown.
Iverjohns_zps8d354251.jpg

So it looks like a 30's Elgin. Westfield, Iver Johnson, or some other.. Not sure it is Colson or Davis/Huffman. This frame had 26" wheels I believe. I'm still looking for some serial number resources.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back