ENGINE No.9 (completely complete!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whoo Hoo! RRBBO5 begins! My entry this year is this Greenline frame i've had floating around the shed for a couple of years now. I've got some great ideas for it that i hope everyone will like.

frame.jpg

Re: Barbacued Iguana

Okay, so the first thing to do was figure out the front suspension. The springer parts are from a Schwinn style 20" fork and I used another fork from a 70's Huffy girls bike because it had the longer head tube i needed. It seems to work very well, kind of like a reverse beehive. You can expect the rear to have a similar set up as well.

fork1.jpg

fork2.jpg

fork3.jpg

fork4.jpg

all ive got to say is i would buy a fork like that !!! are the truss rods beefy enough with that set up for big bumps ??

killer start man, i like it :)

CCR said:
all ive got to say is i would buy a fork like that !!! are the truss rods beefy enough with that set up for big bumps ??

i agree, i have some truss rods like that and they bend really easily

xHOBOPHOBIAx said:
CCR said:

i agree, i have some truss rods like that and they bend really easily

when the spring action works it pulls on the truss rods, it doesn't push them up like a beehive does. i can't see how they might bend as long as it's pulling on them. i bounced the front end with all my weight and it seems to work great. i'm sorry the pictures are fuzzy, it makes it a little hard to see exactly how it works.

Re: BARBACUED IGUANA

i can see what your saying, "pull" wont bend the rods but "push" might, and it doesnt look like there would be any "push" involved in that setup. its like a columbia fork in a way. love how how you came up with using what you had around, i dont think my brain cells could have pulled it off successfully :!:

i worked on the rear springer set up today and thought i'd post some pics to show how it's gonna work. i made both pivot plates out of a heavy duty hinge pictured below. i still need to finish them but so far it's working out great.

respring1.jpg

respring2.jpg

and here what it looks like at the end of day 3...
respring3.jpg

onelesspedestrian said:
... best fork setup I've seen in ages. that would work well with a lot of rake/offset too, definitely one I'll keep in mind for the future.
glad you like it. :D when the idea first popped in my head i couldn't believe i hadn't thought of it before. it seems like a really good way to turn most plain cruiser forks into springers. i'm sure someone somewhere thought of it first but i've not seen anybody do it like this before.

Awesome! I don´t stand a chance in this build off now... :cry: :roll: :wink: :D

jiminyshiznit said:
Super sweet reworking of the springer forks, front and back... beautiful so far.

Hey thanks man. :D This build is becoming increasingly difficult since i don't have a welder... or any power tools at all except for my drill, just wrenches, sockets, hacksaws and files. But, somehow i seem to keep finding a way around that.

posting today's progress. the rear springer is now 95% complete and working good. they way these frames put the seat so far back from the pedals always bothered me so i made a seat post out of a worn out set of handlebars i had (i knew i was saving them all this time for some reason :lol:). i used one of the bends so i could have sort of a lucky 7 post to place the seat forward. i'm sure it will be much more comfortable to ride this way but i'm not entirely sure i like the way it looks, although it's starting to grow on me the more i look at it.

pic2-1.jpg

pic1-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back