ever heard or seen a albrights superb?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i guess it was used at a park as it says albrights superb at playland park on the headbadge. it looks like it used to have lights on it.i have only found one other guy with one and he didnt know. i cant find anything googling it.here are some pics.any info is appreciated.
brandnew018.jpg

brandnew019.jpg

brandnew020.jpg

brandnew021.jpg

brandnew022.jpg

brandnew023.jpg

That is pretty cool, thanks for the pictures. I too have been wanting to know more information about it.
The seat is not original.

PICT0025.jpg

PICT0023.jpg

PICT0017.jpg

PICT0055.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

PICT0053.jpg

PICT0046.jpg

PICT0032.jpg

Can anyone help us?

I bet they are a rebadged bike. Albright's may have been a hardware or department store.

There was an Albrights Department store around my area of Michigan, back in the 1960s. I remember going there occassionally in search of some specific Matchbox cars. Can't remember for sure where they were located though. As I remember,they were alot like the old Grants or Ames stores. Never even thought of other bikes back then. If it wasn't a Schwinn in wasn't worth looking at. Boy, was I wrong! :lol:

back in the yesteryears, many department stores would have companies build specific items for them.
for example crossman pellet guns where manufactured under a few different names for a few different stores.
hahn, western auto, jc higgins, crosman where just a few.

i imagen the bicycles where made for albright department stores and rebadged for playland park (probably rental bicycles for navigating the park)

playland park seattle washington
http://www.pstos.org/instruments/wa/sea ... d-rink.htm

albrights cycling and fitness has also been around since about 1914. might be an avenue worth checking out.

I do not believe that is Columbia built, I'd say a Rollfast (based on the chainring?) or more likely, based on the carrier, fenders, fork and dropout... a Hawthorne. My hawthorne has the same dropouts and fork and I've seen others with that chainring, fenders, and carrier. I would say it's probably been rebadged.

This is my Hawthorne:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12233

I'd say a Rollfast (based on the chainring?) or more likely, based on the carrier, fenders, fork and dropout... a Hawthorne. My hawthorne has the same dropouts and fork and I've seen others with that chainring, fenders, and carrier.
Hawthornes, Rollfasts, and many Firestones in the 60s were all made by HP Snyder. Snyder built the bikes, and DP Harris was the distributor, who owned the Rollfast name, and sold bikes to Montgomery Wards. As far as Albrights, I think there was a thread on the Cabe about them, and I believe they were used as rental bikes at the amusement park... ~Adam

Latest posts

Back