Fall Gravity Shoot-Out Photos

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another fun time on the old Soap Box Derby hill today. All photos here.

Ratfink1962's Rust Rocket. He can tell you his story.
DSCF0224.JPG

DSCF0278.JPG

65rat's Top Gravity drag bike
DSCF0228.JPG

DSCF0240.JPG

450redrider center on 65rat's bike
DSCF0243.JPG

I had the pleasure and privilege of driving "Second Wind" one of several cool cars built by our friend Thad.
Me being towed back up hill.
IMG_3678.JPG

In the cockpit
DSCF0233.JPG

Me racing Thad in his other car.
IMG_3682.JPG

Udallcustombikes
IMG_3684.JPG

DSCF0236.JPG

DSCF0274.JPG

Turn out wasnt the best, but I still had a blast!

The Rust Rocket... did awesome all day long, I actually hit 31.1mph on my next to last run.

On the final run I decided to start from the very top of the hill, its kinda rough on top with a decent bump about 40 feet down the track (normal starting spot) anyways when I hit the bump something happened to my rear tire.

As I was gaining speed I noticed a clicking noise coming from the rear, so I went ahead and started braking in case something let loose, but I was still rolling along pretty good. I crossed the finish line just as the rear tire let go with a bang! The Rust Rocket started fishtailing pretty good and before I could get it shut down, the rear end spun around pretty good which taco'd the wheel.

What I think happened... I think when I hit the bump, the sidewall popped on the rear tire, and the tube was rubbing the brake caliper causing the clicking noise, and eventually the tube let go as I was using the brakes. The rear tire is under a lot of stress since I have it loaded with 80# of ballast, and the rear tire wasn't in the best condition to start with.

It was a pretty fun ride, at least I stayed off the guardrail this time :oops:

I think I can straighten out the wheel, a little work with the hammer, and some bondo and Ill be back in bizness :lol:

Looks like a blast, wish we had that around here. Got a few good hill runs around here too! I might have to build one.

Mitch.... I have a wheel and new tire and tube setup you can have.... great shape... ready to mount and race

Ok thanks Ill probably take you up on that, I checked thru my stash and I dont have a spare 700c wheel in useable shape. I know Steve said he had some laying around too.

I gotta figure out if Im gonna try the Sand Springs Ok. race, sounds like fun! Otherwise Ill stow the Rust Rocket till spring.

Latest posts

Back