STBO Fashionably Late. (Temp. Name for now).

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well turns out my next build accidentally will fall into this build off perfectly. Took a couple months off from the inter web and just logged in again last week. Anyways this is the initial parts starting point. I've still got to go through the parts sheds to see what other possible goodies are hiding. Might even meet a deadline this time.

20240915_210234.jpg

Last edited:
It's a 1955 Rollfast. I like the twin top bars and it has just enough of a factory rake for the head tube that works perfectly with the forks. I like the stance and the profile. When I put the wheels back on it I'll post pictures.
Twin bars are always fun! Can't wait to check out the stance on that ol' girl!

A quick mock up, and I learned I need to shorten the lengthe of the fork arms a bit. I want the lower rear stays level. I think that is to much seat for the bike. And not 100% on the OCC Stingray handle bars and for sure replacing the stem. Decide on paint and work out which and placement of the fenders. That 26" Rear Wheel will make it a tight fit for a 26" fender on a 24" bike, probably have to flatten the fender were it connects to both spots on the frame.
20240917_193313.jpg

20240917_193339.jpg

20240917_193348.jpg

Now I've got a better idea of the changes I need.

Attachments

• 20240917_193348.jpg
    20240917_193348.jpg
    1.1 MB
I wish I could find a frame like that.

To add to my serial number lists, does your number begin with a "B"?

I'll check in a minute. I like this frame. I'm picking up a late 60's chrome step through Astro flight. Was tempted to enter it, but it'll put me over any budget I could halfway justify.

That's a 55 Snyder made Rollfast. I had info saying the "SE" didn't begin until 1959, correction made. Thanks!
Glad I could help. That was the second old bike I got. Helped a lady in town clean and organize her garage and she wanted me to just throw it in a scrap pile somewhere. It was missing the seat and post, front wheel and handle bars and stem.

Good to know. I think this was only the 3rd bike I tried looking up by serial number. So who knows what I was looking at. This a 24" 1952 scwinn step through and a 1947 26" Monark Super Deluxe Step through. Also had trouble nailing the monark down because the serial number conflicted with it having a serial number plate instead of stamped in the frame. Plate said post war, but the serial number said pre war on the 1st list I looked at. This whole serial number business turned out way more messed up then you would think it should be. Lol. Other then Schwinn I don't even look them up much anymore. Unless it's time to sell, which I'm reluctantly starting to do now. But it's time. I'm being I have 30+ frame sets 14 complete bikes and probably more the double both numbers in parts. 2 years ago, all i owned I owned 2 bike. A Specialized Sirrus and an off brand Chinese electronic mountain bike. And my 91 diamondback TX-100.

Started with mounting a 26" middleweight rear chrome fender. Flattened ot the indents on each side of the fender because they do not line up with the rear stays on the 24" frame.or at least as flat as a Cresent wrench and a mixture of English and Ojibwa swear words can get them. Had used a fender brace I cut in half to mount the rack I had without braces. But will change over to chrome. And removed the front fender brace and will bolt the fender directly to the bottom of the rack. It was getting to busy with 3 braces and I don't have to drill another hole in the fender to secure the top to the frame. Pleasantly surprised no further fender mods required to clear the tire. Today's fun will be figuring out the front fender mounts.
20240924_050234.jpg
20240924_050222.jpg
20240924_050251.jpg

Last edited:
While sitting outside in the dark waiting for my neighbors to wake up and get ready for work so I can make noise and use my full range of colorful vocabulary I decided this little lady is going to be a poor woman's 2 speed. Got the donar crank. Need to find the front derailer, cable and I'm going to build a custom shifter. And chain tensioner. Probably just get a longer chain and hang a rear derailer and pin it in place once I center the chain.
20240924_053829.jpg
20240924_053838.jpg

While sitting outside in the dark waiting for my neighbors to wake up and get ready for work so I can make noise and use my full range of colorful vocabulary I decided this little lady is going to be a poor woman's 2 speed. Got the donar crank. Need to find the front derailer, cable and I'm going to build a custom shifter. And chain tensioner. Probably just get a longer chain and hang a rear derailer and pin it in place once I center the chain.
View attachment 280223View attachment 280224
I tried that on a Beast (Walmart Fatbike) and it didn't work because of the coaster brake. Even with a tensioner the brake requires too much pressure to make it work.

I tried that on a Beast (Walmart Fatbike) and it didn't work because of the coaster brake. Even with a tensioner the brake requires too much pressure to make it work.
I picked up this awhile back and have been looking for an excuse to try it out. If I can find the correct hub.
20240924_071918.jpg

Last edited:
Got the rear fender and rack squared away until I tear down to paint. The rivets for the fender braces were starting to rust, so replaced them with these 1" cone spikes. Like the look, already got to close when I was walking around the rear, and one of those spikes gave me a nice reminder to walk wider. Lol. And the mounting screw give maximum clearance between the fender and tire. And filled the rear reflector holes on the now front fender. Just Ave the front fender sitting on a block between it and the tire just to see what position looks best. I can't decide if it's to much fender or if I should trim it back to just behind the giant square hole on top. Which if I don't trim the fender I've got a couple different fender ornaments that will cover it. So far leaning toward the front fender rear duck bill is close to the ground so not as much fender out in front of the wheel. Once that's decided I can make a cross beam between the forks the the fender can be bolted up to. After I set the clearance evenly. Don't want the front further away from the tire the the back.
20240926_080513.jpg
20240926_080436.jpg
20240926_080442.jpg
20240926_080448.jpg
20240926_081717.jpg

Still not in love with the bars and stem. That's later today's project. Trying out maybe a dozen different combo's and hopefully one works for what is an almost half formed image in my minds eye. Can't hook the drum up until that's decided so I cut the cable and housing correctly. Overall I'm confident she'll make it to the dance on time.

Latest posts

Back