Fat Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
DSC000092.jpg
DSC00008.jpg
[img128152270J][/img]]Hello,
My first time to the site but intrigued by the idea! Just completed a project with a Surly Pugsley frame and fork which I have dubbed "Fat Rat". Will try to post some pics (if I can figure it out). Started hot rodding bikes in the 60's as a kid. Still at it now that I'm heading close to the "60's" again...

The wood fenders are 1/4" oak plywood. First cut to spec, then wrapped in really hot water-soaked towels for a couple hours. Then bent around a form cut from 2 x 12" to simulate the radius of the fat tire. I left them clamped for about 3 hrs, but it would be better to leave them overnight for the wood to dry thoroughly and maintain the curve. Fenders were then coated with marine varnish and I used bicycle rear rack hardware and some fender stays made from 1/8" steel rod and lock nuts to mount to the Fat Rat.
[img
DSC00014.jpg
DSC00013.jpg
DSC00018.jpg
]
DSC00019.jpg
[/img]

Welcome to the site fellow FAT brutha!!

Love your Fat Rat. You should check out my Folding Pugsley build "Fugsley". It's like the love child of a Pugsley and an old Dahon.

You've got some interesting stuff, Kingfish. Always wanted a folding, or portable style bike, with a twist. This site has some really cool builds! I'm going to need a new building just to store all my new ideas!

Thanks sweetwillie. They were necessary for the snow/ rain we had in early March. Fairly easy to do as explained above. Would be a cool add-on to any ratrodbike!

OJ, could you point me in the right direction to learn how to do the faux-tina paint job like you did here?
Pondo, I didn't document the paint job, but have a pretty good recall of what I did. It was a gloss powder coated white frame when I got it. Powder coat is really hard to get removed, so I just sanded it really good to cut through the gloss finish. Then I sprayed it with a Rustoleum steel blue color which would be my kind of primer and base coat all in one. I followed that with a red oxide primer but not a complete coverage, and a pretty thin coat of it. This would be the base for my 'rustification' look. After that, I lightly sanded, mostly #0000 steel wool if I remember over the frame. In some places, I got all the way through to the white, many spots I rubbed through to the steel blue undercoat, and most of it retained kind of a rusty red look. Then I grabbed a can of Rustoleum Multi-Colored Texture paint, and sprayed the junctions of the tubes (where rust might naturally gather ) and a bit more on the rest of the frame, from the 'top - down' as if it had sat in the rain for years. Then I lightly smoothed over the textured stuff, to leave some bumpiness but to blend it in as a whole.

Here are some photos. It was my first time experimenting with this technique. I have since tried many others and combinations of techs to try and get a 'vintage aged' lo
DSC00004.JPG
DSC00003.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

Hope that's helpful!

Latest posts

Back