Fat Tire Exerciser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Farm Hand Fastback is going to get restored so I had to come up with another bike for the build. I had this old Schwinn Exerciser and saw this "OCC Stingray" on Facebook. Maybe I can chop both of them up and make something acceptable.
20221031_125800(1).jpg
20221031_155017(1).jpg
20221031_154530(1).jpg
Exerciser already started losing a little weight.

I've worked on the frame setup for a couple of hours Saturday. Trying to get the lines right and keep it functional.
20221106_072119(1).jpg
I don't have a tubing bender so I had to splice tubing from another frame to make the bends.
20221106_072216(1).jpg
Welded nuts into what would have been the tubes that attach the rear tire. Exerciser didn't have a rear tire.
20221106_072337(1).jpg
I will weld it in place after I figure out how to make the bottom bracket the right width. This is the frame, on the ground, with wheels on it, for the first time.
20221106_075636(1).jpg
I plan on putting another piece of tube here just ran out of time.
20221106_082127(1).jpg
Let me know what y'all think and if you have any suggestions. This is my first frame build so I'm guessing a lot!

Last edited:
It is looking really good, it has a very interesting shape to the whole frame! I really like how the rear subframe kind of matches the front end in terms of 'modern' style. :)

Looking really good! Fabrication is fun and this project is coming along nicely. I'd like to build some frames of my own at some point but haven't quite gotten there yet so kudos!

It is looking really good, it has a very interesting shape to the whole frame! I really like how the rear subframe kind of matches the front end in terms of 'modern' style. :)
I'm sorta "Old" School. I love the cantilever frame design of a Schwinn. Adult bikes all the way down to a Midget Stingray. Until they sold to Pacific they were well built and last forever. The only cool things on a OCC "Stink"ray is the w i d e rear tire and the chopper front forks. So that's all I'm trying to use.

It is funky. I'm not quite as 'funky' as the Capt. :bigsmile:

I keep seeing another tube in that front end to simulate a tank area. And I'm guessing you will extend that tube in the rear for extra bracing?

sting ray lover frame.jpg

It is funky. I'm not quite as 'funky' as the Capt. :bigsmile:

I keep seeing another tube in that front end to simulate a tank area. And I'm guessing you will extend that tube in the rear for extra bracing?

View attachment 217565
Good ideas. It's still evolving. Trying to just use what I have already and not spend a lot of money. I'd like to move the seat farther back. Give it a muscle bobber look.

Added the suggested crossbar. Moved the seat post further to the rear. Changed the angle of the "seat" stay and I think I figured out the bottom bracket. If I get this finished by the deadline it'll be a miracle! Now to figure out the headlight, seatpost, chain guard, fenders...... the list goes on and on!
20221203_105621(1).jpg

Last edited:
Added the suggested crossbar. Moved the seat post further to the rear. Changed the angle of the top chain stay and I think I figured out the bottom bracket. If I get this finished by the deadline it'll be a miracle! Now to figure out the headlight, seatpost, chain guard, fenders...... the list goes on and on!View attachment 218945
I'm digging the way this bike is shaping up! I think changing the angle of the seat stays really made a world of difference. Good luck getting this bike done on time!

Well deadline has passed and I have had little time to finish the bike. A waterline broke in the house and I've been trying to move and dry things out. Waiting on Servpro now. Maybe it will eventually get done. Sorry guys!

Well deadline has passed and I have had little time to finish the bike. A waterline broke in the house and I've been trying to move and dry things out. Waiting on Servpro now. Maybe it will eventually get done. Sorry guys!
If you don't build it before....... you can blow it all apart and enter it into the summer class 2 build off

Latest posts

Back