Faux Bamboo Tiki Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin B

Bicycle Demolitionist
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For awhile I've looked for a diamond frame to build a faux bamboo bike. Then someone threw this Romet out.
1000002284.jpg

To have less clutter and a simple drive train. I eliminated the hand brakes, three speed and put a 26" cruiser coaster brake wheel set on the bike.
1000002285.jpg

Next I installed a 22T cog to help it pull.
1000002286.jpg

Last edited:
Next week I'm picking up the bamboo paint and some brass or copper paint for the frame lugs and dropouts.

Also plan to includes coconuts, tiki figures, a torch and possibly rattan, animal print fabric and a surf board!

Last edited:
Bobbed some fenders, so no bracing to take away from the bamboo. Also, checked the fit on a fatty fork and started building up nodules using the same process to simulate bamboo. The flat road fork wouldn't have looked right.
1000002334.jpg

Next week I'm picking up the bamboo paint and some brass or copper paint for the frame lugs and dropouts.

Also plan to includes coconuts, tiki figures, a torch and possibly rattan, animal print fabric and a surf board!
Looking forward to that!

Today I put this chain guard on my outdoor anvil and beat the Huffy out of it.😃 Then I ground it smooth and filled the low places. I'm using this guard because it gives me a bigger canvas for tiki stuff. I'm planning to cover it in rattan or maybe a bamboo placemat.
1000002352.jpg

This self adhesive sheet is what I'm leaning toward for the face of the guard.
1000002353.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking this pale yellow will work for a color base coat. Then I'm going to try a thin brown wash over it. Not sure how to go about it, yet.
1000002366.jpg

Last edited:
My base coat choice had me a little concerned. It turns out I'm glad I went with yellow. A dry brushed, thinned coat of chocolate brown is achieving the golden hue I had hoped for.
1000002380.jpg

1000002379.jpg

Experimenting with orange accents. Modern tiki "lowbrow" art is usually an exaggerated caricature I think it's getting there.
1000002387.jpg

1000002388.jpg
1000002390.jpg

1000002389.jpg

Last edited:
Painted the lugs copper today. Added painted lugs where none existed like fork dropouts and the frame stays. All paint is lighter than it appears here. I'm going to need a brighter day when a hurricane is not offshore to get better pictures.

1000002405.jpg

Last edited:
The bamboo/copper attire is looking real good! BTW, good luck with the storm............
Thanks. Had 60+ mph gusts and lost power for about an hour. Really feel bad for the Big Bend/Pan Handle Floridians. With Ian's 15'+ surge this county had 70 deaths. Mostly drownings. Prediction for the landfall surge of Helene are 15 to 20'.

Latest posts

Back