Faux Tanks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Looks like there's no thread for faux tanks! There have been some good ones on this site over the years, so post them up here. Whether it's to show off your awesome work, or just as inspiration, they're good fun.

A note on what makes a tank on a bike a "faux tank": that would be a flat, 2D tank-shaped plate of metal, wood, plastic, or other materials that doesn't have bulk, or bulge out further than the frame itself. Some judgement must be used. If relief lettering or a doo-dad attached goes out further than the frame, but the plate it's otherwise mounted to is flat, then that's okay. If the wood tank is 1/2" thick, it's good, if it's 3" thick, then it's a real tank, not faux.

Anyhoo, I'll go first, and post others soon. My first faux tank on a build:
IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

That's why I couldn't find one! I knew we had something. I'm pretty sure I've added to that thread. While "homemade" and "faux" have a lot of overlap, they are not exactly the same, so I'll leave this thread going.
🤘

I have waiting for someone to use these $10 a pair ABS hood louvers. They could be affixed to an insert. They come in many shapes and sizes.
4_71495ff6-e36a-48a5-a5cb-3bfccfb1f534.jpg

With the advent of 3D printers the possibilities are endless. I have a couple ideas on what I want to make for my current project, but so far other solutions have presented themselves so I haven't gone down that road.

Cool thread. Here is the faux hex honeycomb tank I did for HEXtreme in BO16.

1665443341627.png
1665443415173.png

Here's one that I was never super happy with, but the idea was to make a place to put a bunch of the cool stickers I'd collected over the years.
View attachment 212615View attachment 212616
I really like the creativity you have displayed by pulling this bike off. It looks rideable though the front end might be light. Your front fork extension is novel to say the least. I'll go out on a limb and guess that the saddle is from a horse? Very fun bicycle in so many quirky ways. Good collection of stickers too.

Latest posts

Back