FBM Sword fixie frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was browsing through the dan's comp website and found this. FBM is known for their new york hand made bmx frames, I guess they've decided to jump into road frames. Check out how short the head tube is, reminds me of a prewar elgin or something.
http://www.danscomp.com/231000.php

Makes sense, fixed gear riders are starting to get more stunt oriented. It's only a matter of time before they quit being such posers as far as frame choice is concerned and start using BMX bikes for bike polo, since BMX frames have a lower center of gravity and shorter turning radius. But try mentioning that to them right now and they'll just shut you out.

Posers. Use the best bike for the job.

I think the best bike for the job would be the bike you are used to. Bike polo has been popularized by bike messengers who ride track bikes all day, that's why they do bike polo on those bikes. I don't know if you've ever played, but I think it would be difficult on a BMX, standing up and pedaling one handed. Most polo matches have a "no dab" rule, too. The wheelbase on my track bike is 37" so the turning radius is about the same as a BMX w/a 21' tt.

Same with doing tricks, it grew out of bike messengers skidding, trackstanding, and hopping curbs as part of their daily riding. I think that is the misconception, that the "fixie" thing was something that hipsters (posers) started, but riding track bikes in the street is something that bike messengers made popular, and many of them used to skate or BMX and many still do. Hipsters (posers) caught wind of it, and blew it up into to what it is now, which is sort of a parody of itself.

A major difference between these two "cultures" is that fixed gear riders cover long distances by bike, which a track bike is much better at than a BMX, and many BMXers put their bike in a car to get to a spot. I am "guilty" of this as well, so I am not criticising.

FBM is a bunch of "Fat Bald Men" like myself, and we can't always fold up and fit on a BMX, and as you get older covering some miles on a track bike keeps your beer belly in check, but you still like to bust some style, so in those respects, a track bike is the best bike for the job.

SkidMark said:
I think the best bike for the job would be the bike you are used to. Bike polo has been popularized by bike messengers who ride track bikes all day, that's why they do bike polo on those bikes. I don't know if you've ever played, but I think it would be difficult on a BMX, standing up and pedaling one handed. Most polo matches have a "no dab" rule, too. The wheelbase on my track bike is 37" so the turning radius is about the same as a BMX w/a 21' tt.

Same with doing tricks, it grew out of bike messengers skidding, trackstanding, and hopping curbs as part of their daily riding. I think that is the misconception, that the "fixie" thing was something that hipsters (posers) started, but riding track bikes in the street is something that bike messengers made popular, and many of them used to skate or BMX and many still do. Hipsters (posers) caught wind of it, and blew it up into to what it is now, which is sort of a parody of itself.

A major difference between these two "cultures" is that fixed gear riders cover long distances by bike, which a track bike is much better at than a BMX, and many BMXers put their bike in a car to get to a spot. I am "guilty" of this as well, so I am not criticising.

FBM is a bunch of "Fat Bald Men" like myself, and we can't always fold up and fit on a BMX, and as you get older covering some miles on a track bike keeps your beer belly in check, but you still like to bust some style, so in those respects, a track bike is the best bike for the job.

Yeah we have the posers here. They are all running around with the tightest pants rolled up thinking that their pant will get caught in the crank. I have had so much trouble with some of those idiots cutting me off while I'm driving or yelling stuff at me for having a car. :x Most of them are trust fund baby's and think that because they moved to a low income neighborhood that they have street cred. I hate hipsters but i respect the people that are doing narly stuff on them.

thatismytruck said:
Please pardon my ignorance .....

I know what a fixie is but what is different about a fixie bike that would warrant a special frame?

basically they like these style frame because of the dropouts, you can slide the wheel back to tension the chain, usually found on track bike frames.

plus the chromoly frames are stronger than your average converted freebie road bike

so ... strong frame with prefered dropouts (for those with money to burn imo)

CCR said:
thatismytruck said:
Please pardon my ignorance .....

I know what a fixie is but what is different about a fixie bike that would warrant a special frame?

basically they like these style frame because of the dropouts, you can slide the wheel back to tension the chain, usually found on track bike frames.

plus the chromoly frames are stronger than your average converted freebie road bike

so ... strong frame with prefered dropouts (for those with money to burn imo)

8) gotcha. thanks.

The FBM frame is meant to be abused. If you were to ride for instance a Pake in the aggressive manner as seen in the MASH, Macafarma, and Cadence videos it would break. I think it's also designed to allow you to do barspins, which you can't with a regular track frame because the wheel will smack the downtube. Some get around this by putting a 650c on the front, but it makes the bottom bracket lower, inviting pedal strike.

Yes the hipsters. They went for street cred by by running no handbrake, except they didn't know how to ride and called attention to the "danger" of fixed gear bikes. In Portland this drew the attention of the Police, but instead of going after art students on the way to class, they targeted bike messengers giving them tickets for "no brakes". It's a lot easier to pull someone over if they are on their bike 40 hours a week in the same general location, so it was like shooting fish in a barrel. The majority of messengers who got a ticket were asked to stop, they complied, and they were gived a "no brakes" ticket. Sorry, Officer, a fixed gear hub IS a brake. Please explain to me how you come to a stop without dragging your feet on the ground if you don't have a brake. Tickets were fought, some won some didn't, and there was a lot of public outcry, so the Police have backed off. it's one thing to give someone a ticket for running a stop sign or red light, but total bs to make them STOP and give them a ticket for "no brakes".

The short answer is because the people doing the tricks ride track bikes.

Track bikes weigh less than 20 lbs. without even trying. They look like ten-speeds with parts missing so less attractive to theives, although this is changing. The FBM frame & fork is maybe 2 lbs. heavier than a normal track bike frame & fork.

MTB frames have vertical dropouts, so no chain adjustment. A singlespeed/fixed MTB frame is much harder to find, and the only new inexpensive one is the Surly 1x1. Most of these dudes doing tricks don't use handbrakes, relying on the fixed hub to slow and stop, and an MTB frame would have a canti-posts and cable braze-ons all over it, ugly. You could get an old MTB frame with horizontal dropouts but they are hard to find.

You could say it's a matter of style but not really. I have a track bike, a singlespeed/fixed MTB, and a BMX (and a 52 Schwinn cruiser, and various freakbikes...). They all have their plusses and minuses.

The FBM frame I want is either the Panther or the Exodus, 21" top tube.

GodHatesCleveland said:
Sorry, Officer, a fixed gear hub IS a brake

True, but it's not a very efficient one. It won't stop anybody as fast as a front hand brake, it's simple physics.

Never said that's not true, but the Oregon Revised Statute simply specifies a brake (undefined) capable of stopping in 15 feet from a speed of 10 mph, which any reasonbly skilled fixed rider can accomplish. I don't want to re-hash the fixed/handbrake argument again, I have done enough of that last year on bikeportland.org and fixedgeargallery.com.

A fixed hub can stop a bike about as well as a 50 year old coasterbrake on a 40 lb. cruiser, and better than a Chinese coasterbrake, and about the same as a bike purchased at and built by Wal-Mart.

Latest posts

Back