FearSteer (a.k.a. crash and burn)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! I am done with in-law responsibilities and back from Charleston to start RRBBO 18 (1.5 weeks late). I am so excited that I don't even mind being placed on "page 2 Slackers" status. :) I guess I'll go with the name FearSteer for my rear steer bike build because "crash and burn - gonna' die" just didn't seem to have that catchy flow.....

I Found the last major part of the new frame. Do to medical reasons, I'm sure I will need to electrify the front drive wheel. The back wheel rim and tire combo will need to be as wide as possible. Not to "steal" the idea from Luke but the wider the steer wheel, the more it mimics the steering characteristics of a tricycle and hence more stable steering.
20230513_182736[1].jpg

I just read "Rear Steer" "Electrified" and Fat Tire in the same build idea? :13:

Honestly? I'm scared!

From my research rear steer looks sketchy at best, but then adding more speed and heavy wheels just makes me think of the fat tire swing bike that tried to kill me...

I mean, I love the idea, and I really hope it works, but please be careful!

About a week ago I visited the VELO, an annual big bike fair here in Berlin and I test-rode this front drive rear stear e-cargo bike made in Danemark:

IMG_20230507_160351637_copy.jpg

While going slow it was amazing how you could turn it on a dime, but going fast(er) it became really scary :tmi: as it behaves very different to what one is used to on a regular bike...
The sales representatives told me that they usually go full speed with them (25 km/h)... So I think this concept has a big learning curve involved....

Mark me down as subscribed! :thumbsup:

Here are some pics I took from the rear end:
IMG_20230507_151604949_copy.jpg
IMG_20230507_151611004_copy.jpg
IMG_20230507_151618984_HDR_copy.jpg
IMG_20230507_151620985_copy.jpg

This is going to be so fun to watch. I am sure there will learning curve, but it can't be more difficult than getting used to a Swing bike. I think you will find that building it and working out the engineering and geometry will be much harder than learning how to ride it.

KF, I agree. Attempting to accomplish the math on such a truncated schedule is more than a challenge....as far as learning how to ride it, I was thinking about having a bar-b-que and beverage party and invite all the swing bike people over. That ought to be good for a couple of laughs...:21:

About a week ago I visited the VELO, an annual big bike fair here in Berlin and I test-rode this front drive rear stear e-cargo bike made in Danemark:

View attachment 232674

While going slow it was amazing how you could turn it on a dime, but going fast(er) it became really scary :tmi: as it behaves very different to what one is used to on a regular bike...
The sales representatives told me that they usually go full speed with them (25 km/h)... So I think this concept has a big learning curve involved....

Mark me down as subscribed! :thumbsup:

Here are some pics I took from the rear end:
View attachment 232670View attachment 232671View attachment 232672View attachment 232673

This is going to be so fun to watch. I am sure there will learning curve, but it can't be more difficult than getting used to a Swing bike. I think you will find that building it and working out the engineering and geometry will be much harder than learning how to ride

:39: full grown bunch of men, BBQ= beer, wait, lots of beer consumed + male ego.:rolleyes:
I'm watching, popcorn and all...
It will be, like the Red Bull soapbox races
1684294875914.png

sort of getting an idea of the layout but was not sure of the 26" wheels
A 14 May 2023.jpg

This is a little more of what I visualized. Pulling the components away from the frame helped.
20230513_195653.jpg

mitered the tubes and tacked them in. wheel and fork set in to act as place holders and continued visualization. tomorrow I hope to check for straightness and plumb. I think the tubes may have moved around a bit without a jig to hold things in place. this is about all I can do with levels, T-squares, plumb bobs and string. Frankly, though, I'm kinda digging it.......

20230522_213253.jpg

Not much of an update: welding on the front "triangle" is complete with hopes I can dress the welds tomorrow. Note to self that the thin steel of the tubes will pull more that I thought - the head tube was off a degree or so but I beat it and welded it back into place.

On another note, I wish to let our fellow RRBers that live North of the Border that I will promptly remove that sticker on the seat tube so as not to sully anyone's bike building reputation....;)

20230527_145330.jpg

Discussing wheel/tire size combo's on LeMadHatter's BO thread, I thought I might throw a pic up to show my original intention: small 20"fatty on the back and a tall 26" or 29" skinny/moderate width tire up front. I like how LMH's stance sits with same dia. wheels front & rear. I have some options. Opinions, thoughts, comments?
20230605_211301.jpg

Discussing wheel/tire size combo's on LeMadHatter's BO thread, I thought I might throw a pic up to show my original intention: small 20"fatty on the back and a tall 26" or 29" skinny/moderate width tire up front. I like how LMH's stance sits with same dia. wheels front & rear. I have some options. Opinions, thoughts, comments?View attachment 235578
I think your frame flows nicely with your actual wheel combo.

Latest posts

Back