fender dent removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
ok how do u all go about getting dents out of fenders? i used a samll ball peen hammer ...and i ended up with more dents on the good side of the fender ....more bondo work!!!! yeah ....i thought about cuttting a small peice of wood the same radius as the fender and giving that a shot....sound like it may work? any advice would be cool ....thnx mike

Harbor Freight has two sizes of nylon egg shaped mallets and leather shot bags that cost about $3 shot bags online only hammers both places hammers didnt cost much at all have just the right shape.
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools ... s.html?p=3
Can't find shot bag at this time.

pick hammer,anvil dolly,door skin hammer,dinging hammer,followed by some light filing,and finished of with 80grit then 180 grit paper on a block, and some primer surfacer(unless theyre getting chromed....then its sand it down with 240,then 320,then 400, after that the chromer will do the rest)
if you decide to get body tools id start with martin....theyre affordable and great quality(mac and matco are both martin made for the hammers,dollies,and spoons) for the price.
if youre interested HERES a link

one thing....when 'hammering' out dents....you dont want to use force like when you hammer a nail....you want to use just your wrist....hitting hard will only create more problems(like stretched metal) :wink:

I have seen guys use what looks like a pick hammer but it is made out of some sort of plastic. This along with a bean bag.

forming mallet and shot bag whould be what youre thinking of.....but unless you own an english wheel and or a planishing hammer or know some one who does.....those will just give you lumpy stretched metal that needs a lot of finishing work to look good

Latest posts

Back