Fender spacer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the best way to make a fender spacer? My rear fender is looks a little wacky.
Oh, and i know its dirty... just got back from a ride out in lovely cold Minneapolis.

img2269t.jpg

img2270ir.jpg

img2271d.jpg

I used a piece of small dia. copper tubing and a longer bolt for the lower mount. Painted the tubing to match the bike and it's invisible. Gary

I used washers from sidepull brakes, but my favorite is a spring over the bolt. This allows for infinte adjustability.

yankeefan100 - The fender probably will not change shape much with the spacers, but you just have to experiment. I use the wine corks (especially synthetic corks) because they cut relatively easily and will not cause any squeaks or rattles.

Curvature of the section of the fender that is inside of the frame looks out of round. Wheel tire combo diameter looks small. Can you reshape the fender and slide the wheel forward a little.Take a link out of the chain and/or use a half link?

it looks to me like the bottom part is the problem. down by the bottom bracket might need to be trimmed , redrilled , or the hole might need to be slotted more. looks like the distance between the bottom bracket and the rear dropout has too much fender crammed in there. if you should need a spacer afterall , you can use a small 1\4 inch or so socket from those cheap junk chinese tool kits or a neat old one from the junk drawer

Ill try spacers and moving the tire forward. I do agree that it looks like too much fender is crammed in there. I'm not about to go cutting fenders though...

Thanks for the tips!

After taking the mounting bolts off the fender seems to rest nicely in its natural position. The fender is bent just a little bit.
The top mount appears to be drilled wrong and the fender and frame mount hole does not line up. Any ideas on a bracket or something to account for the difference without drilling a new hole? I was thinking a cork shaved down sideways to offset the difference might work.
Now that im typing this drilling a new hole might not be too bad...and just fill the old hole with a nice nut and bolt or something.
Thoughts?

img2292640x480.jpg

img2293360x480.jpg

Latest posts

Back