Figured I'd start a build thread on my V-dub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I been flashing up around other threads with my new car and some ideas so I figured I'd just start my own so I don't accidentally hijack someone else's thread. Here's my starting point a 1981 Volkswagen Rabbit convertible. Not a true GTI but a pretty good clone. GTI engine and seats. I painted the grill as EVERYTHING was sprayed in grey primer.

P7120089.jpg

P7120088.jpg

This is the plan: paint the outside in gloss black with hand painted red emblems
P7120092.jpg

The inside is pretty thrashed with the exception of the seats and the dash is covered in BURLAP. I'll get pics of the carnage later. The plan for the inside involves a little red digital camo.

100_0789.jpg

dashdesign.jpg

Then as far as wheels go I'm keeping the American Racing Estrella wheels but MIGHT paint or powder them red and black and get a set of whitewall tires. Something like this.

dsc0981ye.jpg

MORE PICS :mrgreen:

As I said the inside needs help.
P7160100.jpg

P7160098.jpg

But has some nice GTI seats
P7160099.jpg

And GTI engine
P7160104.jpg

Very solid frame rails
P7160108.jpg

Shock towers are rust free
P7160106.jpg

Rain gutter is even clean
P7160107.jpg

Trunk is solid
P7160103.jpg

Only rust to speak of is behind the driver's seat and can be easily patched up. And in true RRB fashion I had to show off the new kicks.
P7160102.jpg

bicycleguy said:
I think a red digi camo interior would look sweet! I've never seen anything like that before. 8)

Exactly what I wanted. I hate to copy a trend or go with the flow.

Yeah, that's a project all right :D

Are you going to run a drop in K&N and a drill out the airbox?

You know a dasher oil pan bolts right on and they are larger and aluminum!

I ran a set of 1990 signal and wiper switches, the bolt right on too and will give you intermittent wipers if the cabrio doesn't have them already. My 1980 rabbit was pretty basic when I first bought it but I left no bolt unturned.

Have fun with it!

I was actually thinking of getting a cold air intake for it to replace the stock air-box all together. Didn't know a dasher pan would fit that. Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to get really deep into this project. Mainly to undo all the paint that was done. The structure is in great shape and it runs and drives so it's mainly cosmetic but eventually I'm going to take it down to the uni-body and re-build it from ground up. Just going to drive it as it sits till I get another car to beat on while this one's down.

I found a virtual Modder to do a MK2 Golf (close enough to my MK1) so I put together a little sketch of how I want my car to look. Kinda getting ideas and running with it. Let me know what you think. I will be running a hood but I just wanted to show it 'cause it looks cool.

dfsklafjkl.jpg

That's a good looking golf, the hard part in converting your cabrio will be adding rear doors and a hard roof :D

I'll have to try and remember some of my other mods from back in the 90's when I was modding MK1's.

G60 corrado valve cover bolts right on.

if you remove the rear axle beam and weld it to make it a tube instead of the channel stock that it is you will stiffen up the rear body roll. Not that it isn't fun to lift a rear wheel but I imagine with a drop top the chassis is not as stiff as a steel top, even with the rocker panel reinforcement.

I've seen some guys polish up the bumpers, drill out the gas shocks to compress the bumper pistons so the bumper is nearly touching the body, looks pretty good.

TheFlyingDingo said:
Awesome!

Looks like you will really turn that car around!
It was really thrashed before, eh?

Yeah the guy knew what he was doing mechanically, all the wiring is nicely labeled, and the work was nicely done but as far as the cosmetics are concerned we have VERY different taste. And I understand doing things on the cheap (How I found this site) But come on BURLAP? and primer wiper blades? Then the white dash black carpet, grey seats, yellow glove box door, I mean pick one color maybe two and go with it. Not to mention don't over spray half the car.

Walker said:
That's a good looking golf, the hard part in converting your cabrio will be adding rear doors and a hard roof :D

I'll have to try and remember some of my other mods from back in the 90's when I was modding MK1's.

G60 corrado valve cover bolts right on.

if you remove the rear axle beam and weld it to make it a tube instead of the channel stock that it is you will stiffen up the rear body roll. Not that it isn't fun to lift a rear wheel but I imagine with a drop top the chassis is not as stiff as a steel top, even with the rocker panel reinforcement.

I've seen some guys polish up the bumpers, drill out the gas shocks to compress the bumper pistons so the bumper is nearly touching the body, looks pretty good.

I'm keeping the cabrio body, The modder only had the MK2 golf so I did that then modded it in MS paint to get the dash and mirrors. I've seen a few VW's with the sucked in bumpers and wondered how they did it, thanks for the tips. I also plan to eventually set it down on some coil overs so no wheel lifting for me. It's a summer night top down cruiser not a race car. However Pick a part has an annual part pulling frenzy, all the parts you can carry across a 20' line for $40. At $40 a head I bet if I got 4 of my old football buddies we could carry a complete VW out of there... :mrgreen: . At least get the front and rear clipper kits, side skirts, dash, another top (just in case), new carpet, radiator, fan assembly, and a VR6 motor and trans, just in case I want to change my mind about a race car. :mrgreen:

Found out the previous owner lied, posted pics on VWvortex and it's NOT a GTI engine, it's the stock 1.7. Considering what I gave for it I still got a good deal but it still aggravates me that people can't just tell it like it is.

Walker said:
I think my buddy still has a custom wire harness I had made when I did my 2.L swap. Used a mk3 block, mk1 gti head, 1990 knock sensor. Wicked torque!

Only a rat rodder would think of this, I take it you have a few VW parts?... :mrgreen: I have kinda been toying with an idea in my head for a few years as far as a custom engine goes. Just stick with me here. The VW diesel engines have roughly 21.5 to 1 compression and a really heavy duty bottom end, the bolt pattern and water jackets from the diesel and the fuel injected motor line up the same, what if you had a spacer made and bore it out and bring the compression down to say 9:1, put a fuel injected head on it, use the fuel injection ports for NOS, twin small turbos, and a custom intake to hold oh say a holly 850 double pumper or twin 2 barrel webers, then use the fuel injected cam which is basically wide open, cro-moly rings, balance the entire rolling assembly, IF it worked it'd be a monster....in a sweet and innocent looking VW rabbit body. :mrgreen: Maybe a custom licence plate "RBT-RUN" (Rabbit Run) and a few small fender decals...something like this.

thumbnail.aspx

outskirtscustoms said:
I found a virtual Modder to do a MK2 Golf (close enough to my MK1) so I put together a little sketch of how I want my car to look. Kinda getting ideas and running with it. Let me know what you think. I will be running a hood but I just wanted to show it 'cause it looks cool.

dfsklafjkl.jpg

stay with this. stance is big and so is rims. just do a super camber, bike rack, and youll b good to go. that car will look almost show quality. good luck with your build

You really think so? Also will the camber effect tire wear and driving ability? It is going to be my daily driver so i don't want to go that crazy with it. I am thinking of lowering it despite the pot holes and road hazards around here.

No VW's at the moment. Just not practical for where I'm at right now. The 2.0 swap was pretty straight forward except for the wire harness which I had made. I think i remember that a 2.0 16V Passat crank will bolt into a MK3 block to make a 2.2L.

One day, a long time ago I had a set of Weber side drafts that fit a 1.6-1.7, never used them though. Fuel injection is just easier (for me).

Of the MK1's I've owned that were road worthy, 1980 Rabbit L, 1983 Rabbit Wolfs, 1984 GTI, 1983 jetta 2 door (2.0 swap car)

the 1980 was my first car and was a complete tear down; paint, full interior, ABD body kit, custom grille, 1.8gti swap with cam, header exhaust, KYB suspension, doubled up sway bars front and back, front and rear upper stress bars (even had a cage and Corbeau buckets in it with 4 point harnesses for a summer), went through lots of wheel sets, mostly 15's with 195-50's or 40's. bought for 500, sold 6 years later for 5K. Lots of fun on the twisty roads.

The Jetta with the 2.0 was pretty stock looking. I added Koenig alloys with 185's, Neuspeed soft sport suspension (we've got winter up here), Techtonics sway bars, front upper stress bar and GTI buckets. Finished the engine swap2 a day before driving it from central NH to Jersey for Waterfest.

I kind of liked the 185's better than the 195's because you could still slide the narrower tires. The wide ones would tend to hold way too long and then just let go all of a sudden where the narrower ones gave you a bit of warning first.

Latest posts

Back