Finally found a job

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well, this isn't completely off topic- it's directly related to bikes, really.

I am fifteen as a few of you know, and well, I'm always looking for work. I take it wherever I can to fund the ongoing bicycle addiction. :wink: For the past few years, I've done a lot of landscaping, but it wasn't working out so well last August, and so I quit and enjoyed the last few weeks of summer vacation (I had been working then for the same guy then since March or April). Well, given my age, I'm looking at buying a car soon (particularly, in my case, for the commute to a new school), and I get a bit stir crazy when I don't have much to do in the winter, so I've been looking for another job or some kind of work. I could use a little extra money for a certain bike project and the looming car purchase. Finding work hasn't worked out so well due to school taking up so much time, and now with driver's ed and extra curriculars on weekends, that's not made much easier.

Self admittedly, I am a very lucky guy. I don't have anything to complain about- I get very lucky most of the time.

Well, I've been going to this nearby bike shop for about six months, sometimes bringing wheels I laced myself and such, for tires, and I also brought my custom built track frame to buy a lot of the parts for it. I talked to the owner quite a bit during my trips to the shop, as well as the man in charge of repairs, and they seemed to like me.

I came in just the other day for some tires, and the owner asked me if I was still looking for a job (I had mentioned that to him in conversation before) and I responded "Yes, I have been, and haven't found anything..." and at that he asked me if I wanted an application. I filled it out and the next day he called and said I would start in March when the shop opens again. It's another one of those times where I got really lucky- a job came to me, and at that, it involves bikes. What could be better? Well,it does get better for me, a lot better. The school I intend upon applying to next year (alternative advanced 2 year high school program) is right up the street. :shock: I could get out of school on most days and head right to the shop in five minutes flat. I am so pumped for the spring to come, I really can't wait to start. I think there's a lot to learn, and I should continue to work there right through the summer as I continue to learn the frame building trade.

You'll find so many neat things to buy from the bike shop that come payday, your paycheck will be a negative number! :shock: Really though, it sounds like you are right...you got lucky again. :wink: Gary

I'm happy for you Chris, What better job could YOU of gotten, But I think the Shop Owner is the Lucky one, from what we have seen from you on this site and at your home It appears you are many years ahead of yourself on your knowledge of bikes.

KZ1000 said:
But I think the Shop Owner is the Lucky one, from what we have seen from you on this site and at your home It appears you are many years ahead of yourself on your knowledge of bikes.

AGREE 100%

Congrats Chris, sounds like a great opportunity

B607 said:
You'll find so many neat things to buy from the bike shop that come payday, your paycheck will be a negative number! :shock:
I worked part time at a friends shop rebuilding shocks and stuff and I ended up oweing him money when I was done :mrgreen: I did end up with a bunch of stuff though :roll:

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words, and I'm flattered. I'm a bit worried myself, about finding too much to buy, so I'd better get that urge under control before I go. :wink: I do agree Sensor, I'm really excited because it won't feel much like work all things considered. I am hoping I don't get burnt out, but I'm not really thinking it will happen. I think there will be a lot to learn and that will keep me pretty content.

Congrats man, sounds like a great opportunity with it being so close to school. It seems like you have a good head on your shoulders as far as knowing what you want and how to go about acheiving it. I worked at a bunch of bike shops as a teen and into my 20's, and the temptation to overbuy is huge...especially when the shop owner gives you "credit".
What you might want to do is sit down and figure out your budget. With buying a car you're going to have insurance and gas bills, you might want to have a little reserve in the bank for car expenses or repairs. With school you might have book and supply expenses, and you'll need a lunch budget for work. Write all this out on a spreadsheet and see what you have extra to spend on goodies...and then stick to that. It's tough to do but if you can you'll develop some good money habits. I've got friends that make a ton of money and they're always broke...not good.

Of course this is all out the window if you start dating once you get your car... :mrgreen:

Finding ANY job at this point is lucky, but you got double lucky! I can remember thinking about getting a "real" job one day when I was 15, working, doing whatever, but as it turns out, any job is a real job. If you can hang on there, nothing says you can't landscape, or do whatever on the side also. Whatever brings home some money is a job. If you like your job, theres nothing better than that!

If I could get a job at a bike shop, I'd be in hog heaven, and I have a bachelor's degree and everything. Me smart.

Congrats and best of luck to you!

Latest posts

Back