Finally Got My Dream Bicycle...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, here's the story. Some people like old tank bikes, old 10 speeds, new stuff, BMX's, road bikes, etc. My kryptonite is old Schwinn Suburban's. I am 6'7" and this is one of the only bikes that fits me comfortably. Plus I love vintage anything, especially in the bike world. I have been looking primarily for this color for years (varisty green I think i s the name?). People either want a ridiculous amount of money for them, and I have never found one local to me, near Harrisburg, PA. I almost traded for one last summer in Deleware but she backed out, was so disappointed. A couple weeks ago, I did my usually weekly check in on craigslist, and up it came. 1975 Schwinn near Reading, PA, about an hour away. I immediately called the gentlemen, he accepted a $40 offer. I couldn't get there fast enough. Couple issues: gears wouldn't shift, which has been fixed, and one of the front fender forks is missing, making it impossible to ride as the other one gets caught in the spokes. Looking for a fender rod setup. Not sure how I'll do it, but she will ride soon. Got all the rust off of her, but need to detail it now. In heaven w/ my latest purchase. My forever bike...

Maybe a temp fix for your fender would be a wire coat hanger bent to keep fender in position? Good luck!

Good looking Subbie! My favorite color too. Emerald Green is what they called it.

You're local to me. Want any more? I actually run across lots of those my travels. I have one in the Flamingo pink color in my collection...

Very nice , careful it's addicting, Bicycle collecting is Taking over the World !

~Rafael~

Great bike! Look how well the Schwinn paint and chrome have held up for 40 years.

Thanksf or all the responses gentlemen. No luck so far. Kingsting, PM me, might be interested...Thanks!

Good looking Subbie! My favorite color too. Emerald Green is what they called it.

In the '75 catalog, Schwinn called it "Lime Green".

To the OP and any other taller Schwinn enthusiasts: they made the Varsity, Continental, Sports Tourer, and Super Sport in a truly massive 26" frame. That's a twenty-six inch long seat tube!!! For reference, @Diamond Dogg 's green SubUrban is a size 24" frame.... Here's a '72 Super Sport, sized 26", in Opaque Blue:
full%20-%201972%20Schwinn%20Super%20Sport%20022.jpg

(I have the same frame-- same year, same color-- in the 24" size. I'm 5'11"ish.)

I'm only 6'2" but have long legs. This Continental is the only bike in my stable that truly fits me. I love my precious old ballooners made for 12 yr. old boys but sometimes you just have to have a bike that fits. 808, my head tube looks longer that the one on your blue bike. Not sure of my frame size but your blue one looks the same as the green one. Gary

B607, I see what you mean re: the headtube, but Super Sports have different geometry than the Varsity/Continental/SubUrban bikes. They have steeper angles, among other things (eg, tire clearance). If you play around on Bikecad, you'll find that the slacker the head angle, the longer the headtube becomes. So, yes, the headtube on the bike I posted above is shorter than on your Continental, but I assure you it's a 26" frame.

For a few years, they only made the SS in two sizes: 22" and 24". It wasn't until '72 that the 26" version showed up in the catalog (and the SS was subsequently dumped after '73). Incidentally, the 26" Varsity/Continentals didn't appear until '72, and prior to 1971, the electroforged 27"-wheeled bikes measured differently; they came in odd-number sizes (19", 21". 23") but went to even numbers in '71 (20",22",24"...) But here are examples of the Opaque Blue Triple S in all three sizes; you be the judge:
full%20-%201972%20Schwinn%20Super%20Sport%20022.jpg
Here's the 26" again...
schwinnsupersport_1_.jpg

24" frame above...
SchwinnSuperSportPowderBlue54cm-1.jpg

And the smallest (aside from the step-thru/"ladies" version), in a size 22".

All have shorter headtubes than an equivalent-sized Varsity/ Continental/ SubUrban, b/c of the steeper angles.

Latest posts

Back