Finished Another One

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my 1950 B6. It came out okay but is in need of some touch up paint. Considering it's been hanging in my basement unfinished for 10 yrs, it's not really worse for wear. Also, pardon my "cheap" camera. My spokes aren't striped!
DSC03681.jpg

DSC03677.jpg

DSC03683.jpg

DSC03685.jpg

I'm trying to figure out how to get the rear fender braces to seat behind the rack braces. They just don't want to go that way unless I bend metal. I may put a bunch of washers between them with longer bolts. Braces are repop from Memory Lane and they're the pricey ones. They might be the problem.
DSC03679.jpg

Also, I'm fabricating a crossbar from stainless for the plain bars I have on it now. Bought some 5/8 stainless tubing but got it too thick. I bought .065 and should have gotten .049. Not sure how I can bend the tabs inside the bars with that heavy tubing. Anyway, constructive criticism always welcome. 8) Gary
DSC03686.jpg

Very Nice. I really like that color combo. Are you using the decal mask of ebay?

Thanks cman. The two tank decals and the 2 round red "Schwinn" decals are waterslide from Memory Lane. The darts on the frame I just eyeballed like I always do. Taped them off with 3M 218 Fine Line tape and blue masking tape. This is the 10th Schwinn frame I've done with the same old factory "B" style 3 color paint job. I finished what I didn't have painted with 10 yr. old cans of Krylon and it was tricky. Paint was a bit "splattery" if you know what I mean. It flattened out okay though. Gary

i really like the green and mint colors schwinn had, but the two tone blue is hard to beat !!! seat looks nice too ... is that one of those sponge rubber Persons?

Thanks Eddie! Hi CCR...Jeremy, right? Oops, that doesn't sound right. Hmm...Jason? Rats! My memory is going! :oops: What was the question again? :p Oh yeah, the seats. I bought them from ML about 15 yrs. ago. Got 2 brown and 2 black for $15 or $18 ea. Something like that. They look *kinda* like the old originals, and are comfortable. You can always tell the difference from the old ones by the foam rubber. The area just behind the nose a few inches is "puffy", where the old one are flat and lay on the pan better. The old ones are hard on your butt though, they have old horse blanket for padding. :shock: Gary

I love that bike, the color scheme, the kickback hub. That's about a million times better looking than a black Phantom. That bike is perfect.

skoda said:
I love that bike, the color scheme, the kickback hub. That's about a million times better looking than a black Phantom. That bike is perfect.

Wow, nice compliment. Thanks skoda. You noticed the red band kickback too. My favorite hub. I've got them on all my bikes except for the purple one I just did with my first Nexus. I have one bike to paint and I'm finished with restoring. I've done it 20yrs, now I'm just gonna ride 'em all. Gary

skoda said:
... That's about a million times better looking than a black Phantom. That bike is perfect.

i agree, id take some nice B6 two tone and striped fenders over a phantom any day.

and yeah, name is jeremy :)

Very nice!

B607 said:
Also, I'm fabricating a crossbar from stainless for the plain bars I have on it now. Bought some 5/8 stainless tubing but got it too thick. I bought .065 and should have gotten .049. Not sure how I can bend the tabs inside the bars with that heavy tubing. Anyway, constructive criticism always welcome. 8) Gary
DSC03686.jpg

Maybe the handlebars can be spread far enough to get the tabs in? If your welding the crossbar in you should need only 1/8" of tab.

Latest posts

Back