finished: hawthorne silver bullit.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
for my first entry, i just wanted to finish. not exactly how i wanted it (cuz the fenders won't fit the forks and that problem i can't fix/replace untill after 8/2), but i still like it.

before...
IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

given to me, along with a few other bikes by the maintnence man where i work, it was exactly what i was lookin for. for awhile, i wanted to find an old cruiser to build up for my wife, and here i get one for free. this was back in feburary.

a total deconstruction, repaint and rebuild useing the oem wheels and repacking all bearings, i finally got her put together today.

IMG_0913.jpg

the fenders i wanted to put on , wouldn't fit with the whitewalls in the forks, so (at least for now), i did away with the fenders untill i can find a doner "unicrown fork" that is wide enough for the fenders and tires. i also want to upgrade the seat to something more comfortable for my wife, since this bike IS for her.

IMG_0906.jpg

more pictures...

IMG_0909.jpg

my wife wants me to get her some metalic purple to add on her own personal touches. later on next month, a new gel seat is on my list so it will be plush enough for her to ride. i painted over the unreadable headbadge cuz she wants to make her own, once i give it to her.

IMG_0911.jpg

this is how i fixed the broken chainguard mount, with tiny shelving brackets that just happened to line up and work perfectly.

as my first entry, i know its not the blue ribbon winner, but its done, at least in my hands. its up to my wife now to do anyhting creative she wants to it. thanks for looking. :D

I like.....clean....mean... and simple. You captured all three, NICE job!

thanks! i think i will give up on ever putting fenders on it, but my wife won't let me put apes on it either. i kinda like it better without fenders and i usually have fenders on everything. my wife hasnt even seen it yet so i think ill give it to her in the morning, once ive adjusted it for her.

she is gonna dig it!

thanks! ive since put on a gel seat for her and added a f/r reflector and a kickstand. test rode it yesterday and i love this thing. front tire clearance is a little tight in the forks, so i added a spacer nut on each side of the axle to spread the forks open a little wider when in the dropouts, and no more tire rubbing. she has yet to test ride it. probably has something to do with the 100deg weather.

i was thinking this is an early 60's. anyone got any ideas? headbadge said hawthorne, not mw.

bikeriderx, i see alot of potential in that cruiser there. it helps that i see them as "step thru" frames, rather than "girl's bike" stigma. my grocery getter with two racks is a step thru frame and when the bike is loaded, makes it easier to get on and get going, but i am sensitive to any frame flex. just yesterday, i installed a quick release seat post binder so in case i decide to ride it to work every once in awhile... so i can make sure its like in... good running order... and stuff (yeah, thats the ticket).

seroiusly, i am gonna ride it to work tommorow cuz the maintnence guy who gave it to me in the first place can see what i did with it. i really love to ride this bike, as i am somehow fascinated with hawthornes, but sometimes the frame flex is kinda spooky.

Latest posts

Back