first bike build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Huffy Good Vibrations bike off C/L for $30. I really only wanted the frame but the rest will be good for parts for mach up. I built bikes as a kid back in the late 70's. So I only remember once piece cranks. Could i swap over to a sealed bearing and 3 piece crank on this bike? Also I have some big pig 26" alloy wheels from a pacific bike. Can i swap out the cassette to a fixed gear?
Sorry for the newbie questions but i'm trying to learn as i go. I have been building cars for the last 20 years and have a plasma cutter and wire welder so I'm going to try a custom frame soon after this build. Thanks

Re: first bike built

There is a kit to convert the "american" bottom bracket to the threaded type so you can run a modern English 24tpi bottom bracket. You'll find them sold as "bottom bracket conversion" or something like that. If you want to run fixed gear you will need to swap the cassette hub for a track hub. There are many low cost hubs available these days thanks to the recent fixed gear fad.

Latest posts

Back