First Klunker Build!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. New to forum and first time build. Will have questions and need help if you're willing. Thanks in advance.

56' Schwinn WASP

1st question... Am I crazy for thinking a 27.5 on it? (27.5 x 2.3 from mountain bike pictured for reference)
Thinking about a RS Judy 120mm fork as well.

Last pic is the inspiration...

IMG_4264.jpeg

IMG_4265.jpeg

IMG_4266.jpeg

IMG_4267.jpeg

IMG_3940.jpeg

1st question... Am I crazy for thinking a 27.5 on it? (27.5 x 2.3 from mountain bike pictured for reference)
Thinking about a RS Judy 120mm fork as well.
If the 27.5s fit, run them if you wish to.

With a 120mm fork up front, the geometry will be slackened to a point where climbing and "flickability" will be hampered. If you're going to be doing shuttle runs downhill with it, 120mm would not be a bad thing.

If the 27.5s fit, run them if you wish to.

With a 120mm fork up front, the geometry will be slackened to a point where climbing and "flickability" will be hampered. If you're going to be doing shuttle runs downhill with it, 120mm would not be a bad thing.
Thanks. Thinking mostly street/curb jumping type stuff so 120 sounds overkill then. 100mm sound better?

Thanks. Thinking mostly street/curb jumping type stuff so 120 sounds overkill then. 100mm sound better?
If going sub/urban style with it, I'd drop as much weight on it as possible by going with a quality rigid fork, a vintage coaster brake (or Shimano E110), a front hub with dimensions that allow you to use one size spoke for the wheelbuilds, laced to some aluminum hoops (vintage or otherwise). Check the 26" BMX thread and think Klunker bars instead of BMX bars. Low maintenance, light-ish and simple makes me want to ride the bikes I have set up in this manner.

Latest posts

Back