Fishing…

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Does anyone fish?

With camping season starting up again I decided to try my hand at fishing. I’ve been deep sea fishing and those fish were “easy” to catch. Drop a line and wait, reel in your catch and hand it off to a crew member.
I’ve been attending YouTube University on shore fishing. I feel ready to catch some surf perch or maybe even a halibut. My gear (shimano 2500FB and 4000FD sized spinning reels and a couple of 9ft rods) is second hand but that’s ok with me.
I have a 3rd rod that’s stumped me, I’ve read that a rule of thumb is 1 guide for every foot on your rod, but I have a 5.5ft rod with 10 guides. Seems heavy duty due to all the guides, maybe it’s a pier rod or a trolling rod? Here’s a few pics of it and my other gear. Anyone have an idea what type of fishing it’s intended for?
E2D9123C-325F-442C-B121-95224C13D1D5.jpeg

508D25F9-3488-47DB-9F05-43D8D4168DDB.jpeg

7D5D9593-6781-4683-AA91-96A6475E3C3C.jpeg
C9B0796B-6C39-487E-84F3-029542EE7BC6.jpeg

Attachments

• 821BF182-F1BA-49F9-A709-599BACC45F72.jpeg
    821BF182-F1BA-49F9-A709-599BACC45F72.jpeg
    900.9 KB · Views: 0
That looks to be an older style boat rod! with all them eye's on it, this was usually done to add strength to the blank when it was made, theres actually 1000's of peeps who build their own rods, I couldnt see a manufacturer badge or sticker so that tells us a wee bit as well! Also the 2nd eye from the top is larger than the eye preceding it! ive never seen that before so theres another clue to a custom builder!
of those 2 smaller rods, the larger looks to be a soft plastic's rod and the smaller more suited to smaller table fish! both reels on those rods are great quality!
Im now going out to the shed to look at fishing things LOL

I have a reel that's similar to the Shimano Sienna on the left, I like the action of the drag, there's a bunch of bearings in there (supposed to be anti-rust), and the reel has very little play.
I bought rods and reels for about $20 for all. I’m gonna open them up today and service them. First camping is this weekend, hopefully I don’t get skunked.

The top 7 guides are all the same size, it looks like a sturdy little fella. Should be a good rod for when my kids get bigger.
Ahhhh and there is the final clue, on a fishing rod its the guides that take the full weighted line with a big fish and the rod just house's the guides, this is why we get sore arms when fighting big fish coz the guides n rod are doing their job and its us now that cops the full brunt of the fight.
Mark my words, that rod shouldn't break it looks tough, and $20 for the whole lot,. Deal of the century.
Tight line's my friend,

Anyone have an idea what type of fishing it’s intended for?
I remember reading that when a rod has "slow action" and flexes the length of the rod, it needs more eyes. This versus "fast action" with the most flex toward the tip under load. Maybe that is what's going on.

I used to fish a lot when I lived up north. I was a total trout bum. Maybe 90% fly fishing and a bit of spinning. I made my own spinners and tied my own flies…
I haven’t fished in years, Florida warm water and still canals just didn’t donut for me.
My daughter and I were planning a camping trip recently and she wanted to fish. I got her a collapsible spinning rod for Christmas, and a Tenkara rod. Hormone for myself too.
I’ve played with it a little bit. It’s a pretty cool system for totally minimalist fly fishing. But I don’t have any real experience with it yet. Anyone here try fishing with Tenkara system? It’s a lot like my first cane pole when I was a kid. Pole, line, fly. That’s it, and everything collapses into a little storage tube. The trip was canceled when I got sick, and now she is moving for a new job. Hopefully I’ll be visiting her in the PNW next fall for another try.

I like fish. I like to catch them and cook them; and I don’t see so many wild fish anymore.

Nowadays, I breed far more fish than I catch. I have 8 tanks going and maybe 300 fish in 400 gallons of water. Only 20 are 6”~16” showfish, and the rest are tiny ditherfish and feeders/breeders.

My La-Z-Boy is right next to the largest tank, with the largest fish. There’s a 14” Oscar cichlid, 16” hybrid catfish, and a 7” Malawi/Mbuna cichlid hybrid.
30BF90BF-CDA5-4831-80F9-3B52D0B697E3.jpeg

This photo also of them also reflects the foyer tank by the front door.
7178ED3B-20C7-489D-A9D3-2BC56922CD05.jpeg

The Mooneyfish are by my office desk. They are in saltwater now. They swim upstream regularly to breed in freshwater, like salmon, so you raise them in fresh, then brackish, then salt. I flush their tank with freshwater regularly, then salt them again. After 4.5 years they have finally laid eggs.
231A89C9-2863-4D09-A903-53ACEEADBA01.jpeg

And ate them. ;(

Buttercup and his cohort live in the foyer.
CEEB9243-8347-4853-80BB-24F6F838945A.jpeg

He is the father of Blue Leeloo and Butterfish.

I also have 3 insulated tanks outdoors, in an indoor/outdoor system with the biggest tank. Blue Leeloo is a Malawi/Mbuna hybrid
62CAFAE0-A61D-4B2B-A96E-839C4E155E51.jpeg

My patio, reflected in the outdoor tank.
1CFD84C9-75CF-42CD-B838-DB164D5D5CD2.jpeg

I actually go fishing about 6 times a year now. I used to fish in Minnesota, then I moved to California. Now I’m just a boater with too much tackle. Grandkids in my DIY electric boat.
B261F39D-CBBD-4DF7-B619-EDD6EA495872.jpeg

We took a few rainbow trout last season. Very few spotted bass. A couple catfish. My lovely wife bags a trout on popgear.
3CCBE9FC-096B-4BA4-8591-10AC1738F0D7.jpeg

The lake got so low we were cruising the sticks, picking up snagged lures.
D14347AF-F321-432E-91BC-1B0186CCDE52.jpeg

That’s Pine Flat Reservoir, where we go most often.

Various popgear being reorganized.
9FBD02B2-BDFE-4998-8333-58B2EBE2C850.jpeg

Last edited:
Eldest Granddaughter catches her first fish. I was lucky to know where to go for a sure catch.
View attachment 224535
The headwaters of Shaver Lake CA.
View attachment 224536
Those are good photos!
I usually camp at Millerton Lake, 40mins west of Shaver. I’ve been wanting to go camping at Camp Edison which is situated at Shaver. Maybe in September.

Those are good photos!
I usually camp at Millerton Lake, 40mins west of Shaver. I’ve been wanting to go camping at Camp Edison which is situated at Shaver. Maybe in September.

Thanks Chuy.

I only live about 12 miles due south of Friant dam, as the crow flies, but I’ve only been to fish Millerton about three times in 48 years.

I worked with a guy that kept a sailboat at the marina, but I have never had my own boat out there.

I usually like to go higher up, to Pine flat or Shaver or Huntington, although I have fished at Eastman and Hensley and way up at Cherry Lake. One of these days I’d like to take the electric boat up to Hume Lake and fish there.

We took these three nice rainbow at Pine flat last summer. The small ones were planters, but the big one was a 15 inch native, and he was much tastier.
7C6D2D7C-0AF3-4729-8351-3EA9ED6701D9.jpeg

This is a 1976 Olympian Tri hull by R J Smith. I bought this boat with trailer & a 40 hp Evinrude for $1200. Well used and needing work, back in 1997. It is much modified from original. Cowl, bench seats, windshield and steering wheel are all gone. Once I got it fixed up it was scarry fast.
After 20 years I converted it to all electric. Much nicer to fish in a quiet boat, and fish hate gasoline.

This is the X-24v version 1, with 3 motors. It's slow. 6 knots max.
That's Judy in her fishing hat.
judysboat.jpg

That's me about 6 years back. Same blue lake (Hensley) but we got back in the mud.
x-24v1.jpeg

these were taken pre covid, I love my beach fishing, although nothing this particular morning we enjoy the sand between the toes (but today it was too cold,) and these stunning sunrise's looking out off jumpinpin bar, were at the bottom end of the coral sea then after the shallows its the pacific, with the pacific islands and then on to north and south America. thats surfers Paradise you can see in the distance, this end of south stradbroke island in uninhabited and can only be reached by boat, about 15km south is a small settlement but ya rarely see a soul (we did this day though) , All this is a 30 minute car trip then 15 Boat ride, so 1hr after leaving home and we have line's in the wter
We target Tailor (Bluefish in the USA) with by catch bread n butter specie's like swallow tail Dart, Bream and Flathead! the best times for tailor here are a rising tide almost to turning and coinciding with dusk or Dawn but we have caught them at all times of the day but those times are way more consistent.
Was a great morning this one! We arrived in the dark and left about 1 hr after sun up! The boat is behind us on the otherside of the island about 10 minutes walk! like I said even though no fish on this day its the memories created for the kids, family traditions being remembered and passed on to their children etc etc! today was only the son but the girls have endured the trip in the dark with dad when the son was a baby ha ha ha ,many times too ha ha thats why they arnt there today LOL
IMG_20200503_061430.jpg
IMG_20200503_062654.jpg

Latest posts

Back