FITMENT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Think about it. Fitment is what it's all about in rodding; whether it's trying to shoehorn a 392 Hemi into a '32 Ford, or a 7-speed Nexus hub into a single-speed frame. As rat rod bikers, we've all dealt with 22.2 mm goosenecks and 21.1 steering tubes, fat tires in skinny frames, and 26 by 1 1/4 tires (do the numbers 570, 590 and 597 have any meaning to you?) Let's not even talk about the multitude of seat post sizes, from 13/16" up to lord-knows what, or chains, which come in so many widths. For this reason, I find it appropriate to name my rat rod bike project "FITMENT", and YOU know why.

The plan is simple: Use as many original parts as necessary, add as much chrome as I can, make it ......, and make it saleable. I can't keep a lot of bikes, since I am living in a townhouse. And, speaking of "saleable," I would have kept the faded, rusted patina, but the resale market dictates that I paint it. Matte black is a very acceptable finish in the resale market. Ho Hum.

Chrome parts:
20230503_120750.jpg

Oh yeah, it's gonna be shiny, shiny, shiny. I already love it, but will everything FIT???

FITMENT PROBLEM #1: Rear Tire. I love this tire, it's 20 by 3.0, and feel it must be incorporated into the build, BUT, WILL IT FIT?

20230503_120720.jpg

I mounted it on the original rear wheel, and tried it out:

20230502_125350.jpg

It JUST made it! As long as the Ebike wheel I ordered is nice and true, it should work. The bad news: Th original rear fender won't fit now.

FITMENT PROBLEM #1 has been addressed and corrected.

Future fitment problems looming on the horizon:
- 24" drum brake front wheel
20230503_120743.jpg

- big, fat motor wheel in the frame
- where will the battery fit?
- where will the controller fit?
- what handlebars will fit?

Attachments

• 20230503_120720.jpg
    20230503_120720.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230502_125350-2.jpg
    20230502_125350-2.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
The plan is simple: Use as many original parts as necessary, add as much chrome as I can, make it ......, and make it saleable. I can't keep a lot of bikes, since I am living in a townhouse. And, speaking of "saleable," I would have kept the faded, rusted patina, but the resale market dictates that I paint it. Matte black is a very acceptable finish in the resale market. Ho Hum.

Chrome parts:
View attachment 230493

Oh yeah, it's gonna be shiny, shiny, shiny. I already love it, but will everything FIT???

FITMENT PROBLEM #1: Rear Tire. I love this tire, it's 20 by 3.0, and feel it must be incorporated into the build, BUT, WILL IT FIT?

View attachment 230497

View attachment 230498

It JUST made it! As long as the Ebike wheel I ordered is nice and true, it should work. The bad news: Th original rear fender won't fit now.

View attachment 230500

- 24" drum brake front wheelView attachment 230502

FITMENT PROBLEM #2: Fat E-bike rear motor wheel on Apollo 3 rear dropouts:
20230502_111125.jpg

So close! But I need to grind about 1 mm off the dropout slots. Mr. Dremel, here I come. Done! FITMENT PROBLEM #2 addressed and resolved.

I filled some holes in the frame, masked it, primered it,and masked off the head tube for contrast. I forgot to take pics of this process, but here are the results:
20230503_132446.jpg

20230503_132730.jpg

I do like the contrast between the faded head tube and the matte black frame. Read the head badge, think Billy Joel.

Gee you are moving as fast as me on this build...
Shiny Shiny, as soon as I read that, I have now this song in my head...
So I will pass it onto everyone else now...:grin:o_O

SD is IN! And bringing it, fittingly, with an E-bike build. (you should share your history with these for the new followers)

I hope this build doesn't cause you fits. Remember, if the shoe doesn't fit, make it fit! :bigsmile:

Cool frame and ideas! I love the rear slick as is, doesn't need a fender.

E-RaT oN~!

Gee you are moving as fast as me on this build...
Shiny Shiny, as soon as I read that, I have now this song in my head...
So I will pass it onto everyone else now...:grin:o_O

As a proud retiree, I had a glorious, full day of bike building yesterday. I get so involved, I miss meals, forget to take pics, and skip personal hygiene. Love Hayzee Fantayzee.

I had two distractions yesterday.

First, my ebike kit was delivered, and, oops, I apparently ordered a 26" wheel by accident! Guess what, it aint gonna FIT!!! No problem, I'll save it for another build. I did re-order the right size, and should have it in 3 or 4 days.

Second, I fell in love on Craigslist again, and made an offer on this beauty:
00t0t_aa81pT5LGwk_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

He accepted my offer this morning, so it's off to the ATM today. I hope I have room for it.

While I wait for the properly sized motor kit, I'll work on rust removal on the original chromed pieces.

Last edited:

Chrome parts:
View attachment 230493

View attachment 230497

View attachment 230498

View attachment 230500

- 24" drum brake front wheelView attachment 230502

Awesome that thing fit!!!!!

Can't wait to see your ebike work on this apollo.
Great score on the higgy
FITMENT PROBLEM #3 - How will sdframe fit his new bike into his townhouse along with the extra ebike whelel.

MY BAD!!! While I've never been good at documenting my builds, this one takes the cake. Here's what happened: As I was getting close to finishing "Fitment," I got a text from a guy who had previously bought an e bike conversion from me (a sweet Giant Stiletto.) I told him I was close to finishing Fitment and sent him a pic. He texted back and said he wanted it, NOW!! I felt obliged, since it would be his only transportation (he loaned the Stiletto to a friend,) so I brought it to him the next day. The only picture I have of the finished bike is the one I sent my buyer on the spur of the moment. I never got to add the truss rods, which I feel would have been the crowning touch. And I never got to take some decent final shots! Once I left it with him, it was out of sight and out of mind, and I went on to other projects. I do have some pics from after my last post. I'll post them and end my thread with the "final" pic that I sent to the buyer.

I'm back from Pinetop, AZ, where we spent an extended Memorial Day weekend. It was lovely, and I did spend some time thinking about the childhood friends I lost in the Vietnam war.
Anyhow, I'll now post what pics I have to SORT OF show you how the build went:

FITMENT PROBLEM #3: Fat 24" drum brake wheel on a skinny 27" fork.
Turns out it was not a fitment problem at all. And just look how the arm from the drum brake fit the fork when I dug out the perfect clamp for the job!
Fitment problem #3 solved.
20230504_164854.jpg

Next, I cleaned, de-rusted, greased and painted the plastic backing plate on the original one-piece crank.

Before:
20230504_091522.jpg

20230504_091654.jpg

After:

Attachments

• 1685559115282.jpeg
    1685559115282.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230507_085640-1.jpg
    20230507_085640-1.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230505_140032-3.jpg