FITMENT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FITMENT PROBLEM #4: Long steerer tube in small head tube. Not wanting to cut the threaded part of the steer tube, I cut a piece of tubing to act as a long headset spacer. FITMENT PROBLEM #4 resolved.

20230507_085640-1.jpg

Last edited:
Since the fork already had a hole for a caliper brake, and I was building a 28 mph e-bike, I thought I'd add a little extra front braking power, bringing on . . .
FITMENT PROBLEM #5: a long reach from the 27" fork to the 24" rim.
After trying several caliper brakes from my stockpile, an ordinary Tektro 1080 beach cruiser caliper got 'er done, "reachwise."

20230505_140032-3.jpg

I would now have to use a dual-pull lever to activate the two front brakes with one pull. No problem there, I keep some in my inventory.

FITMENT PROBLEM #6: Getting a rear caliper to wrap around the fat rear tire. Not all calipers are created equal, but I did find one that would get the job done, ONLY by adding washers to the back of the brake pads, giving me just enough room for it all to function, with no rubbing. FITMENT PROBLEM #6 resolved (with a little bit of luck.)
20230507_085617-1.jpg

For the saddle, the easy way for me would be to just order a new banana seat, slap it on, and call it "done." However, along with the special frame design, another hallmark of the Apollo bikes is the cool seat design. I've always admired serape seat covers on rat rods, so I thought it might be fun to upholster the old, rotten seat pan in serape cloth and keep the original seat form.
I took the old pan and screwed some pieces of wood to the underside, giving me something to which I could staple the serape cloth.
20230506_144245.jpg

20230506_150702.jpg

The tape held the foam padding on like crazy! Time to grab the staple gun. Stapling to the wood on the underside, I found it surprisingly easy to keep things relatively smooth an tight. I say "relatively" because I'm a rat rodder, and my motto, which I borrowed from Jimmy Buffet, is "not to particular, not too precise."

20230512_121158.jpg

20230512_121917.jpg

20230512_110626.jpg

Viva, Mexico!

Now this, dear ratter reader, is where things went kerflooey on me. I got a call from a fella who needed an ebike NOW, and I did my best to accommodate him. I quickly added the controller, handlebars, stem, levers, grips, etc., wired it all up, took a quick pic for his approval, AND THAT'S ALL I GOT!!!! I never added the truss bars, but the good news is I still got 'em! I must tell you, I test rode the little monster, and coming up my somewhat steep driveway, I gave it a bit of throttle, and it popped a wheelie! Must be a combination of the great 1000W torque, rear weight bias, and rider's position. When I delivered the bike, the buyer popped a wheelie on his first go!

I really wish I had more documentation for you guys, and I also wish I could have kept the little beast longer, but sometimes money talks loud and clear. Here's the "finished" pic I sent to the buyer.

Last edited:
20230512_165910 - Copy.jpg

It would look so much better with shiny chrome truss rods, but here it is, with the padded seat stuffed into the sissy bar (FITMENT PROBLEM #8,) battery bungied down, controller bag stuffed between the top bars and down tubes (FITMENT PROBLEM #9,) blue cable housings to match the battery and crank set, custom motorcycle handlebars mounted on a 1 1/8 to 1 inch adapter (FITMENT PROBLEM #10,) dual pull brake lever and whatever else I failed to document. But you get the idea! And I sold it for a (small) profit; A FITTING end, indeed.

STEVE FRAME, OUT!

Since the fork already had a hole for a caliper brake, and I was building a 28 mph e-bike, I thought I'd add a little extra front braking power, bringing on . . .
FITMENT PROBLEM #5: a long reach from the 27" fork to the 24" rim.
After trying several caliper brakes from my stockpile, an ordinary Tektro 1080 beach cruiser caliper got 'er done, "reachwise."

View attachment 234815
I would now have to use a dual-pull lever to activate the two front brakes with one pull. No problem there, I keep some in my inventory.
Those Tektro long reach cruiser calipers work great. I've used them on a few bikes.

Steve-O, you really killed it this time! Somehow you managed an E-muscle build in record time, with kool kustom add-ons, and 'moved it on down the road'; literally and figuratively!

Definitely keep those photos for your Finished Thread, lots of good , creative work on this build; even if you didn't get to take it all the way to the end as planned.

:113:

Steve-O, you really killed it this time! Somehow you managed an E-muscle build in record time, with kool kustom add-ons, and 'moved it on down the road'; literally and figuratively!

Definitely keep those photos for your Finished Thread, lots of good , creative work on this build; even if you didn't get to take it all the way to the end as planned.

:113:
Thanks, Lee.

What a killer ebike profitable experience! It came out great!

Latest posts

Back