fitting handlebars

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I'm nearly done my bike but the handlebars won't fit. The stem is fused to the forks so replacing the stem is not an option. Basically, the clamp part is too small for the handlebars to fit through. It's shaped like a "c". I've tried to pry it open but the bottom part of the "c" won't allow the handlebars through. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?
IMG_7586.jpg

Either change handle bars, or Dremel out the stem to enlarge the area.

Soak that sucker repeatedly for a day w/PB blaster, then, if you can put a slide hammer on the stem bolt, great. If not, screw the bolt out for maybe 1/4"and whack it in w/3-5 lb one-handed sledge. :| If that don't work :x , take a Sawzall to the stem and swap out the fork. If you bend the clamp while getting the bar in,or grind it out, it will seriously compromise the structural integrity of the stem.

well, it finally fits but imperfectly. I used a combo of stretching the clamp (with a bolt and penny) and then scraping the parts that were inhibiting the handlebars with a metal file/dremel. I know the stretching isn't great for the structural integrity but i was running out of options considering i wanted to keep this project low-cost and I can't find other handlebars locally. We'll see how this goes (that is, until the handlebars snap off)

Latest posts

Back