Five-G Conspiracy - build thread.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[quote SkyknightJohn’s Wife] “You’ve made all these cool bikes, when are you making me one?”[\quote]

[Quote SkyknightJohn] “This year love, this year.”[\quote]

Enter stage left:
The Great Green Grocery Getter, Greyhound edition.

The Plan: A Cycle Truck style custom.
D780959F-24CF-4EF2-9D9F-6C5337A51F9B.jpeg

The Parts: 0.035” main tubes, Nova cycles closeout (Vaya con dios) seat, head, and stays.
FFB525E5-89C4-4B39-860A-FBB180AC0BF4.jpeg

The Jig: Same as last year, with minor improvments. Headtube, BB, and rear stays in place.
A9A7FFF7-17C0-4B01-A0CF-7C3E757D2BC7.jpeg

Tig welded steel, Now With Pulse Technology!

The home built jig! Giggity-Jiggity!

Looking forward to your plans, looking good already. Surly dropouts?

Dropouts from Nova Cycle, currently going out of business, unfortunately, but as of today 80% off remaining inventory.

Oh, yeah, this is gonna be a fun one! Thanks for the link to the frame jig too, I'm going to have to try to build one at some point. :thumbsup:

Pithy Bikes video series on making his with extrusions. He does it in the Arctos style, which I’ve seen many of the more professionals use. Pithy Bikes also has more tools and skill than I. I found this series and his bike build series(s) entertaining an informative as well.

Pithy Bikes video series on making his with extrusions. He does it in the Arctos style, which I’ve seen many of the more professionals use. Pithy Bikes also has more tools and skill than I. I found this series and his bike build series(s) entertaining an informative as well.

Wish he built more. I enjoy all of his series

Awesome, thank you. I'll get into that. :thumbsup:

Spent this morning mitering the downtube. I’m doing it all by hand files this time around. The thin wall tubes don’t take that much more time than the HF tube notcher, with its now worn out bearing sleeve and the required post-cut cleanup. It’s easier to keep the adjustments small and sneak up on a good fit.

FWIW, I found out that in half round files, a 10” has a radius of about 1”, 12” file 1-1/4 R, 14” file 1-1/2”R. Each is a little over, so finishing up with the next size down is needed, but gets really close.
1FB2725E-1FD1-4DFA-A5E1-B1613225E5CB.jpeg

3FB5E0C1-A2B7-4163-A776-77AFE91263D6.jpeg

F4154368-DE5B-4350-9554-E880D746813B.jpeg

So, while looking at my Jetflow frame, I noticed how they have a ring around the seat tube where to top tube and the seatstays come together.
IMG_8494.jpeg

I’m sure this has something to do with brazing or electro-welding or whatever process they used, but as this is a problem spot for me when I try to weld 0.9mm TTs to 0.6mm STs, I got to thinking…

IMG_8495.jpeg

As it turns out, my head tube material I.D. is juuuust barely bigger than the seat tube O.D.

IMG_8496.jpeg

IMG_8497.jpeg

Until I cut a slot, then clamped and welded it on. (the slot is still open to allow air to escape from beneath when welding the TT & SS.) Adds 1.1mm extra to help prevent burn-through and will be a unique “feature” of this custom. 😁

So, while looking at my Jetflow frame, I noticed how they have a ring around the seat tube where to top tube and the seatstays come together.
View attachment 231661
I’m sure this has something to do with brazing or electro-welding or whatever process they used, but as this is a problem spot for me when I try to weld 0.9mm TTs to 0.6mm STs, I got to thinking…

View attachment 231662

As it turns out, my head tube material I.D. is juuuust barely bigger than the seat tube O.D.

View attachment 231663

View attachment 231664
Until I cut a slot, then clamped and welded it on. (the slot is still open to allow air to escape from beneath when welding the TT & SS.) Adds 1.1mm extra to help prevent burn-through and will be a unique “feature” of this custom. 😁
Good thinking. I usually have the same problem when welding my own frames. I might borrow this for future projects

Latest posts

Back