fix out of round wheels?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey i was wondering if anyone out there knows a way that i can fix a wheel thats out of round ? the ones on my sierra make it feel like he whole bikes gonna shake loose :? so if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated :D
100_0626.jpg

Basic idea is you loosen the spokes where the wheel dips and tighten under the high spots. It helps to take off the tires. If you don't have a truing stand you could attach something to the frame to help, like tape or some sticks.

like Bettleguise says, to fix a hop you need to loosen both left and right side spokes as opposed to truing where you would be focusing on one side or the other depending on spoke tension.

At the worst area, start by loosening one left and one right side spoke 1 whole turn, then go to each pair of spokes in either dirction gets 3/4 of a turn, then 1/2 a turn then 1/4 turn (moving away from the hop). Depending on how bad the hop is you may need to adjust this formula. Just watch your spoke tension as you go.

First make sure your tire is properly and evenly seated all the way around the rim. Many modern tires seem to require tugging and pushing as you inflate, deflate, and try again.

medellinbike said:
hey i was wondering if anyone out there knows a way that i can fix a wheel thats out of round ? the ones on my sierra make it feel like he whole bikes gonna shake loose :? so if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated :D
100_0626.jpg

it is also helpful to have a piece of chalk handy to mark the center and ends of the bad spot. even a little piece of tape on the spokes. its very easy to forget where you start and stop.

Latest posts

Back