Fixed Gear Conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCD

Reaction score
Here's a few pics of my fixie conversion now that I've finally completed the paint 'n polish part of the build. The bike has come a long way from the discarded 80's Kuahara 12 speed I was originally given. The frame is triple butted chrome molly so it's super light weight (at least compared to all my other bikes).

brake1.jpg
To prevent the brake adapter from rotating I welded a threaded coupler to the back of the fork leg plus drilled/tapped through the old fender mount into the adapter.

frontleft.jpg
Even the stainless steel water bottle received a matching mirror polished finish.

left.jpg
The rims were originally powder coated dull silver, as you can see I've spent many hours in front of the polishing wheel. I decided to go with a three leading, three trailing lacing pattern just to make things a bit more interesting.

hub.jpg
Although you can't really tell from the pics, the paint is bright white with so much clear it has a nicotine stained effect giving it a warm, antiqued look.

beforepic.jpg
This how the rims looked before stripping the powdercoat and polishing.

rightrear.jpg

right.jpg

nice clean bike, love the color especially with the black spoke wheels. the disc set up is sweet too !!!

Thanks for the positive comments everyone! I tried really hard to balance the black/white/polished elements of the bike. I only bought the tires, spokes, rear hub, pedals and brake handle for this build. I wanted to use parts already on hand including as much of the original bike as possible to keep costs down. The seat is actually the original ripped vinyl one I redid using a glue gun and a sleeve from an old leather jacket. You can really do a lot if you use your head more than your wallet :wink:.

Bighit: nice blog, I really enjoyed the videos too, that Japanese bike parking is cool, I wonder if they have any spots for a stretched cruiser or two? :?

I give it a 10...Fantastic job...I shur would love to take it for a ride..I cant promise that I would bring it back.. :wink:

That is sweeet. Lovin' the combo of complemetary finishes and colours. Very nice job!

Nice! I love it!

It's funny- I'll be the first to admit that I was very skeptical of fixies the first time I hear about them. I've come to love them though... there's definitely beauty in simplicity.

Latest posts

Back