fixed gear to coaster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am converting a fixed gear to coaster brake. I have the coaster brake laced in and ready to install back on the former 10-speed bike. What do I do with all that extra width where the fixed gears use to be? Thanks for any help.

Congrats on your conversion! A coaster brake is a far better set-up than a fixtie in my opinion. To take up the extra space you have two options, both of which seem obvious if you think about it. 1- you can bend the frame to a narrower configuation,,,, wich is actually fairly easy on some frames and bleeping difficult on others. or 2- you can use washers / spacers to take up the gap, IF your axle is long enough.

Personally, I prefer bending the frame. The last time I did it, I rigged a device consisting of 2 2x4's and a piece of threaded rod to make a clamp to pull the stays together evenly. If you rig such a device, pull the stays together about 2/3rds of the way to the drop outs, not at the very end so as not to damage them. Just tighten the threaded rod until the frame is about right, then loosen it to check. You'll have some springback, so you'll wind up over tightening it a little. I've used that technique on a number of steel frames, and one aluminum one..... and it always works fine.

Thanks for the info. I kind of had this plan(s) in mind, however, wanted to check with someone who has already done it. Yep, lacing a new hub is a great exercise in patience. It is good for the temperament and the soul in the long run though.

Latest posts

Back