FlightLiner Blue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a Murray Ohio frame. I believe it is a Flightliner. If I’m wrong feel free to correct me. Also would love to know the date.

614BCFD4-665E-432A-9780-34EC1EF58670.jpeg

C97668AD-4C8C-4652-8AE6-E069ECAC9D86.jpeg

The frame is primed and I don’t really have a solid plan. I thought about painting it black and building a red rim wheel set with whitewall tires.

However while I think that would look cool, I am leaning towards using this Rustoleum Maui Blue. Maybe with white handlebars and white dropouts. Somehow I want the dropouts to pop.

And I think I will have better luck selling a colorful blue bike. For me the fun is building and I try to sell them. Usually at a small loss, but I’m having fun.

25EDC589-A4E7-4C1D-B19C-EE8D985DC4FD.png

I’m going to mock up a few options before I decide on the paint. Definitely open to suggestions.

I’m also working on my wheel building skills and not opposed to building colorful wheels.

Pointy Murray dropouts are always cool. This probably was a Flightliner at one time. There may have been a couple of other names they attached to these frames. I like your tommy tutone paint ideas. Have fun!

This is a Murray Ohio frame. I believe it is a Flightliner. If I’m wrong feel free to correct me. Also would love to know the date.

View attachment 230139
View attachment 230137

The frame is primed and I don’t really have a solid plan. I thought about painting it black and building a red rim wheel set with whitewall tires.

However while I think that would look cool, I am leaning towards using this Rustoleum Maui Blue. Maybe with white handlebars and white dropouts. Somehow I want the dropouts to pop.

And I think I will have better luck selling a colorful blue bike. For me the fun is building and I try to sell them. Usually at a small loss, but I’m having fun.

View attachment 230138

I’m going to mock up a few options before I decide on the paint. Definitely open to suggestions.

I’m also working on my wheel building skills and not opposed to building colorful wheels.
Lovely…I love those dropouts.

Tried on a bunch of different parts. This is where I wound up.

This fork looks nice, but it has some issues.
Whimsical kid size BMX bars
Original rear rack.

Good first draft.

View attachment 230158
Loving the mock up so far, looks like a very cool ride!
Only change for me would be that head stem, seems a little out of place with the paperboy vintage/BMX vibe you have going on.

A few more options. Trying to sort out the front end.

1) this is a 1 1/8 threadless MTB fork. The curves match the frame nicely. I don’t have the right headset for this and these BMX bars are too small. This has mounts for v brakes. My preference is a clean bike with no brake cables. But this has potential.
60C1BE26-F6F0-4365-9007-BDF0F48A775E.jpeg

2) Springer fork. I’ve never built a bike with a springer. I’m not feeling this, but you all might be able to talk me into it. Looks like these bars would hit my knees, but that could be worked out.
B6D99AE8-9CF0-4AA9-9C07-2C6C035AA395.jpeg

3) This is not the original fork, but it is close. It is not in great shape, but I should be able to make it work. Also trying out a stem with more reach to move the bars forward.
B27900E1-8E8A-49F4-BE0C-A0AAD65E4C2F.jpeg

I’m happy with the rear end. I found a 26inch rear wheel with bendex red band. Might need to be respoked, but it is a good fit!

View attachment 230139
View attachment 230137

View attachment 230138

You got a sandblaster?

Third fork fits the vintage vibe...AND...add those cool struts that came on the bike! They mimic the rear rack perfectly.

twojs bike.jpeg

Longer pull back bars fit the vibe of that saddle era and style. They are a little awkward for riding at first, think leaning into turns more than steering, and taking a wider turning radius to 'turn around'. You've got a great start!

RaT oN~!

No sandblaster. I cleaned the frame with citra-strip. Here is the before picture from Craigslist. I doubt anyone other than me responded to the ad!

View attachment 230451
I’m stunned on the success with citri-strip! I have struggled with paint stripping the last several years as it seems the products have been diluted and are not nearly as effective as they used to be.

add those cool struts that came on the bike!
I used that fork with struts on the Ladybug in the last build off. I have been considering putting them back on this bike.

Hoping to paint the frame today. I’m going to try my two tone tommy blue and white idea. If that’s not a one hit wonder, I am going to paint it black and make some red wheels with whitewall tires.

I am really not much of an artist. I have this idea about making the dropouts the focal point, but I am not very confident this is going to work.

Stay tuned….

Latest posts

Back