FlightLiner Blue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! A video update / ride video combo! I'm in heaven!

I think your fade paint on the frame and fork is great. Whatever you decide to do, try not to take away from that. This has a really 'beachy' vibe to it.

I like KF's idea of just the brackets in the rear, mimicing the front; OR, add a flat wood platform on both fr and rr racks! Some wood on this build 'wood' be really cool! 😀

This is a Murray Ohio frame. I believe it is a Flightliner. If I’m wrong feel free to correct me. Also would love to know the date.

View attachment 230139
View attachment 230137

The frame is primed and I don’t really have a solid plan. I thought about painting it black and building a red rim wheel set with whitewall tires.

However while I think that would look cool, I am leaning towards using this Rustoleum Maui Blue. Maybe with white handlebars and white dropouts. Somehow I want the dropouts to pop.

And I think I will have better luck selling a colorful blue bike. For me the fun is building and I try to sell them. Usually at a small loss, but I’m having fun.

View attachment 230138

I’m going to mock up a few options before I decide on the paint. Definitely open to suggestions.

I’m also working on my wheel building skills and not opposed to building colorful wheels.
Here's a thread from 2017, this bike has the same catalog number as yours, 4680:
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/murray-maybe.104668/

Ha! I knew if I posted the serial # wildcat would eventually chime in. I’ve been waiting patiently!

Years ago, when I was single and living alone, I converted my dining room into a woodworking shop. But about 11 years ago I met my wife and sold my house and put the wood shop in a storage unit ‘temporarily’. Next thing you know, I’m a dad. Yep. It’s still in storage.

Point is, I love the idea of combining the hobbies and building wooden bike racks. It’s not gonna happen for this build though. My bikes take up an insane amount of space, and I don’t have room for the wood shop. Maybe I need a barn.

Thanks for the feedback. I will tinker around with a few more ideas and maybe ask for feedback. I want to keep this simple, but it needs something. Maybe I could paint the chain orange? My mind is way more mechanical than artistic.

Painted the axle nut and missing link
45488C65-EF10-4786-B8DC-F3BF0057967B.jpeg

Those pedals are a great upgrade! And I really like the white chain and now your nuts and bolts along with the rear dropout.

Getting the spindles swapped out was more work than I anticipated. The plastic pedals had 13 1/8in bearings in each cup. I tried to use the same bearings in the new pedals but the cups must have been slightly larger as the bearings kept getting all tangled up. (If that makes any sense). Anyways I put 11 5/32 bearings in each cup and it seems to be fine now.

Keep in mind, I am trying to keep this simple and my original plan was to make the rear pointy dropouts the focal point.

I modified the rear rack so it can go back on. Then I found this basket which I think I like. The color is a little off in the picture. Looks better in real life.

2D968E27-875B-4994-9B47-9104738BF5BA.jpeg

I also have this fork and front rack that are from an identical Murray frame. If I go with the basket I will use this front rack as it will make for better support.

21EB3E40-A4B7-4E2D-9C77-347E9D20562A.jpeg

I got some really positive feedback on the rear rack, but I’m still on the fence.

I found these cool used grips in my pile. At first I liked them, but maybe I need something simpler.

BE217E10-E99D-4113-854C-A7F83BEB40BC.jpeg
7023C6B3-7A7E-46EB-AE83-309B2FE4E948.jpeg

I think I am getting close. I need to take the good camera out when the lighting is better.

Picked up the basket at goodwill. Thought about painting it white, but now I think I like it as is. I still need matching grips.

And wow! What fun it is to ride a cool bike that was built out of essentially trash! Never gets old!

I discovered those little cylindrical leather seat bags on Fleabay a couple years ago. I now have a bunch in different colors on various bikes in the fleet. They're perfect for a little tool kit.

This looks really good! Basket, seat, bag all match up well; and are great with the baby blue and white.

brown grips.jpeg

Some dark brown grips would really finish it off nicely!

I've got these on one of my builds. Really comfortable, stylish look, and this coffee color should be just about right.

brown grips 1.jpg

Great price for lock-on style grips. You just need a small hex wrench, either 2.5 or 3 mm, can't remember for sure. Wrench might even come with them. The chromed lock rings come off easily if you wanted to spray them black to match all your other hardware.

Latest posts

Back