FLOURESCENT SHOP LIGHT QUESTION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
All moved into the new house and want to upgrade the lighting in the garage.

There is a junction box that a 2 bulb ballast is connected to right now. I would like to install two of the 4 bulb ballasts to really make the place glow.

My question is....is it possible for me to run two of these 4 bulb ballasts off of the one power line in that single junction box?

Seems like I've seen someone splice in a line off of one power line to run another light before.

Be sure to find out what all runs on that circuit. An additional light fixture is usually well within the load requirements, if your house was built to anything close to current code requirements. If that circuit is also running a washing machine and a space heater or a table saw, you should be thinking of adding another circuit.

I remodeled my garage recently. Before I had 4 flourescent fixtures and each had 2 F40 (4' long) bulbs. All four were mounted above the end of the garage where my workbench is located. I replaced the 4 fixtures with 2 fixtures that each hold 2 bulbs 8' long. The 8' bulbs kick butt and my garage is much brighter that it was before. You should really look into the 8' bulbs if you have the room. Gary

B607 said:
I remodeled my garage recently. Before I had 4 flourescent fixtures and each had 2 F40 (4' long) bulbs. All four were mounted above the end of the garage where my workbench is located. I replaced the 4 fixtures with 2 fixtures that each hold 2 bulbs 8' long. The 8' bulbs kick butt and my garage is much brighter that it was before. You should really look into the 8' bulbs if you have the room. Gary

Hey Gary....I think I should have the room.

Where did you buy the 8' models and how much were they?

I'm not sure if I've ever seen 8' bulbs at Home Depot or Lowe's.

I bought my 8 footers with 2 bulbs at Home Depot about 4 years ago, around $50-60. each, They light quick, don't make that annoying humming noise when it's cold, and light up my garage great. be sure to get the green ended bulbs, T-8 I think

Rat Rod said:
Hey Gary....I think I should have the room.

Where did you buy the 8' models and how much were they?

I'm not sure if I've ever seen 8' bulbs at Home Depot or Lowe's.

I got mine at Menards but I'd think any home supply place would have them. I never used them before but I'm sold on them now. Gary

Latest posts

Back