Flyaway

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife decided it was time to “put up” Halloween, so I’m not working on the bicycles today.

Here is this year’s skeleton for my mannequin: Scary Larry.

I usually build him different every year, and then just scrap it out, because it’s all made of junk. Larry is mostly made from random tubing, 14” aluminum pan, bent bmx handlebars, and the lock stile of an old security door.
E6145F97-D404-4D92-9683-68335AED7E16.jpeg

He is wearing last year’s face.

Meanwhile back in the garage, I’m still trying to figure out how I’m going to make this come together.
AC2BF577-F2C1-41EF-8BF6-F3203C9B7D7D.jpeg

To avoid cutting the Phillips fork, I either have to shorten the Tange fork stem or weld these two steering tubes together.

The red pieces are the lower stays from the centurion. The black fork is from a brand new 20”/ huffy. The white fork is from a 12” princess bikes. The thin grey tube is non-bike stuff, I have two 25” pieces with tapered threaded ends.

I also have the centurion seat stays.

Decisions, decisions....

I think I spend more time thinking about my forks than anything else.

Decisions, decisions....

I think I spend more time thinking about my forks than anything else.
Yes, I take Far more!

I have been sketching on this idea for a rigid girder for a month now (on and off) and I haven’t come up with a design I love yet.

So I’m going to do what I always do when I get stuck. I’m going to switch to a different project.

I decided to go back to work on the Sting Gray, as it’s clogging up my welding shed in it’s semi-assembled state.

Yes, I take Far more!

I have been sketching on this idea for a rigid girder for a month now (on and off) and I haven’t come up with a design I love yet.

So I’m going to do what I always do when I get stuck. I’m going to switch to a different project.

I decided to go back to work on the Sting Gray, as it’s clogging up my welding shed in it’s semi-assembled state.

Yes, that is what I often do, and then sometime later, hopefully, the answer is just there AND you have a clear workplace.

Sometimes I worry that I spend too much time tidying, but then I remember that I will know where to find stuff once I know what it is I want to do. And it works, because tidying or doing another job means I am more likely to solve the problem.

I tidy up the shop when I am stuck or lost and can’t move ahead. You can tell how little progress I am making if my shop looks really tidy in the photographs.

But I do have a lot of junk, which may or may not eventually be made useful.

If I stay busy enough I don’t have to think about that fact. LOL

Ha ha, I have three barns, and they get gradually tidier and tidier - except one end of the biggest barn, with straw on its floor and mix of well used wooden farming machinery, old beds and barrels. It's junky and messy, and sometimes I go to visit it when I need to get away ;)

When I need some time alone I tend to hang out in the welding shed. That’s also where I work on old electronics.

F10F289A-82AA-4E32-B114-0FD9C5D4444E.jpeg

Well it’s officially a bike now, as I had my wife do the first test ride on Flyaway.

It’s actually lighter and smoother than her mountain bike. Unfortunately I neglected to get a picture of her riding.
8747A637-E231-4A65-90F7-9126E27E3CF6.jpeg

OMG, you cannot even SEE that circuit board...

I remember, wen I were a lad, we used to make circuits of that type while I was at college, soldering on all those bulky components. Today it is mostly just some flat bits of black plastic with tiny legs, but just the same kind of transformer. At least it has FM.

That’s a Sanyo quadraphonic receiver from the 1970s and it’s got about five circuit boards in it. Fortunately all the capacitors are still in good shape, and it sounds OK.

When I got it, I only needed to replace a broken power switch, and the light for the vu meter was burned out. Otherwise I mostly had to clean all the pots out & removed the 2kg of accumulated woollyboogers.
D21D12EF-0DCB-4EDD-9509-9636BD5BDDF2.jpeg

I’m only listening to stereo, but I run it as a quad matrix. I added a ghost channel with a switchable crossover, so I can bring the presence up or down depending on whether I’m listening to the news or music. There are two more 8 inch speakers in the rafters.

I still have some quadraphonic LP records and a Sure 4-channel cartridge stuffed away in the office somewhere. Hopefully they’ll amuse me when I get too old to fix cars and ride bicycles.

Last edited:
Lovely looking period speakers, I had forgotten that such things existed.

So what is that player beneath? It looks like it has got a ginormous slot. Non-compact disk?

And what are those magnetic pieces holding the pictures in place?

I love seeing other people's workspaces, there is always a ton of interesting stuff!

Lovely looking period speakers, I had forgotten that such things existed.

So what is that player beneath? It looks like it has got a ginormous slot. Non-compact disk?

And what are those magnetic pieces holding the pictures in place?

I love seeing other people's workspaces, there is always a ton of interesting stuff!
The magnets are most probably coming from old hard disc drives.

That is indeed a Yamaha five CD carousel changer. I’ve probably had that for 25 years.

The squarish magnet is from a Briggs & Stratton magneto. Those funny shaped magnets are all from old hard drives. The little clock with no numbers, is the disk from a hard drive.

Since this is a quad, there are two more of those wooden speaker boxes in the rafters.

That’s a Sanyo quadraphonic receiver from the 1970s and it’s got about five circuit boards in it. Fortunately all the capacitors are still in good shape, and it sounds OK.

When I got it, I only needed to replace a broken power switch, and the light for the vu meter was burned out. Otherwise I mostly had to clean all the pots out & removed the 2kg of accumulated woollyboogers.
View attachment 215369
I’m only listening to stereo, but I run it as a quad matrix. I added a ghost channel with a switchable crossover, so I can bring the presence up or down depending on whether I’m listening to the news or music. There are two more 8 inch speakers in the rafters.

I still have some quadraphonic LP records and a Sure 4-channel cartridge stuffed away in the office somewhere. Hopefully they’ll amuse me when I get too old to fix cars and ride bicycles.
THIS…… is EPIC! I think I’ll start a thread on garage / shop stereo systems!

I don’t know much about stereo systems, but I do like to get a jam on every once in a while!

i restored a funky console stereo last winter….. I don’t think it’s the quality you have, but it’s definitely a kick in the pants!

Latest posts

Back