for the tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this Murray up cheap today just for the Carlisle Lightning tires. :D
001-32.jpg

I've found several sets of them over the past couple of years.I had one of them began to separate . I'm a big guy so I usually inflate bike tires to the max pressure listed on the tire , but I'm going to be careful with these old tires from now on. :oops:

I think the Carlisle Lightning Darts were the last production bike tire made in the USA from back in the day. (Except for Coker, I suppose) They are good looking tires. Gary

It seems strange to me that the cheap bikes , like Murrays evidently came with Carlisle tires. That's where I've found all the ones that I have. :?

Yeah, at this point, I doubt many manufacturers were producing balloon tires because production had greatly moved away from cruisers in the early 80s. I wonder if it has something to do with proximity, too. Murray of Ohio was based in Cleveland and Carlisle was just in Pennsylvania so maybe the shipping costs were cheap enough to splurge on the tires. We can only speculate as some things we'll never know!

If you paint that chain ring yellow, you could have Pac-Man!

Latest posts

Back