fork crown race

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
working on a columbia rat build with i think is a schwinn ballooner fork im using,the fork didnt have a crown race on it,so i pulled one off of a middleweight fork i had laying around.the race wont go all the way down the fork tube.i didnt know that there was a difference from balloon to midweight on the fork tube.any advice?

Is the race not going down because of the dia. of the fork tube or is it not going down because there is a bead of weld at the bottom of the tube? Gary

hey gary,i think its because of the diameter of the fork tube.it goes down fine until it stops about 1/4 inch to the bottom.

If there is no bead of weld to stop the race from seating, I'd press fit it on down. Get a piece of pipe that fits over the fork tube and try tapping it down until it seats. The race is hardened, I doubt you could break it. Gary

You usually only see a couple different crown race sizes for 1" forks, 1 size is 26.4mm and the other is 27mm, sometimes it is stamped on the bottom facing side of the crown race too. if it's marked 26.4 and it wont go on with a few taps like Gary mentioned you need the bigger race in my opinion. I've tried forcing one on in the past, didnt break but the race will "egg" and it messes with the bearings.

I didn't know there were two sizes. Schwinn has two sizes or all brands in general have two sizes?
Learn something new on here every day. Gary

B607 said:
I didn't know there were two sizes. Schwinn has two sizes or all brands in general have two sizes?

While there are several obscure sizes you would normally expect to find 26.4 on just about everything, and the 27.0 JIS size on Japanese bikes from 80's-90's. Common MTBs like Rockhoppers and Stumpjumpers often had 27.0 forks.

I read a great tip on MTBR once about filing down 27.0 to 26.4 (the Sunlite 26" cruiser fork that many use on klunker builds is 27.0 for example). Color the steerer with a sharpie, file all around until the sharpie is gone, color, file, and repeat as necessary. By low tech hand filing standards it really keeps things pretty even... :wink:

Bendix said:
B607 said:

While there are several obscure sizes you would normally expect to find 26.4 on just about everything, and the 27.0 JIS size on Japanese bikes from 80's-90's. Common MTBs like Rockhoppers and Stumpjumpers often had 27.0 forks.

I read a great tip on MTBR once about filing down 27.0 to 26.4 (the Sunlite 26" cruiser fork that many use on klunker builds is 27.0 for example). Color the steerer with a sharpie, file all around until the sharpie is gone, color, file, and repeat as necessary. By low tech hand filing standards it really keeps things pretty even... :wink:

I've found the 27.0 "JIS" standard is far more common among non Japanese fork than you might think. Worksman forks, for instance.

Another thing I've come across is Wald forks with an integrated crown race. That was weird.

You know what's easier than filing away sharpie ink all night? Ordering a 27.0 crown race, that's what. http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/sunlite-headset-crown-race-mx-yst-26-4mm

Latest posts

Back