Frame identification

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone ,I'm new here ,so maybe someone can help identify this frame I picked up for cheap $ ,seller says he was told it's a postwar Roadmaster, looks more like a Colombia 5 star was blacked out ,I sanded down to see it's former paint a 2 tone paint job reddish orange & white no Serial no.# no chain guard mounts has head badge holes here's some pics.

Attachments

• 20220713_174419.jpg
    20220713_174419.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220713_174412.jpg
    20220713_174412.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 0
Looks to be a Snyder built frame. It appears that there has been some welding at the top tube to seat mast area?

In addition to the no chain guard tabs that you mentioned, the rear dropouts have been modified as well... probably why you can't find a serial.

Early to mid-'50s.

Good klunker or custom candidate! :thumbsup:

It might be a Monark. A Columbia would have horizontal slots for the rear axle. Snyder is a consideration as RustyGold said, but the solid part behind the bottom bracket isn't Snyder. Monark used a plate riveted under the bottom bracket which had the serial number on it. If it is missing you should see the two rivet holes.

1658477971126.png

1658478241895.png

You may be right, @Wildcat ... if it is Monark, it is a bit of a strange duck.

I wonder if in addition to the tabs being removed, and the dropouts reshaped...if maybe the intermediate bar was 'straightened'?

If it is a Monark and there is no aluminum plate under the BB there should be one of the following...
1) two badge rivet holes
2) stamped model no and serial
3) all the above

Last edited:
With the repair work done on the frame, it's hard to tell. I'd need some closeups of it to make a good guess. But even so, it's a good frame to work with.

Last edited:
Some Monark comparison pics (dk blue frame)...

The kink...far less pronounced than the earlier Super Deluxes...but still kinked...
163150-IMG-20210629-134540270.jpg

... integrated seat post clamp looks the same...you can see on the Super Twin frame (green)how much taper the mono-seat stay has...it doesn't look as tapered on Earl's frame but maybe just angle? Replaced?
163152-IMG-20210629-134615055.jpg

...dropouts (dk blue frame), definitely have been modified.
163158-IMG-20210629-134127135.jpg

Looks to be a Snyder built frame. It appears that there has been some welding at the top tube to seat mast area?

In addition to the no chain guard tabs that you mentioned, the rear dropouts have been modified as well... probably why you can't find a serial.

Early to mid-'50s.

Thanks rusty gold, it's definitely a solid built frame ,I'm going with black finish ,post pics. When build complete. 😎👍

Early to mid-'50s.

Thanks all of you for the info , klunker it is ,had some rigid modern bmx and Schwinn forks but the threaded tube was to short so I put the cheapo mtb suspension forks on for now ,26" steel 12ga. Spoke wheels aftermarket cowhide hairpin springer saddle and a lot of spare schwinn ,Murray and huffy parts frame is heavy,solid definitely rides like a klunker. 🤣

Attachments

• 20220722_185502.jpg
    20220722_185502.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220722_185436.jpg
    20220722_185436.jpg
    686.9 KB · Views: 0
I had some of my early '50s Monark Rocket based bikes out this last week...and the intermediate bars are pretty much the same as yours, just a slight kink. Yours is definitely a Monark with some minor alterations that threw me for a loop for some reason.

I had some of my early '50s Monark Rocket based bikes out this last week...and the intermediate bars are pretty much the same as yours, just a slight kink. Yours is definitely a Monark with some minor alterations that threw me for a loop for some reason.
Thanks for the help, I'll keep my eye open for a head badge the holes are on the top & bottom ,Wonder why someone modified the dropouts and no serial no.# no plate by Bottom Bracket, very strange. ???

Attachments

• 20220724_175251.jpg
    20220724_175251.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Does it have 2 holes in the bottom bracket where a plate may have been?

You can post your pics full size on the webpage by clicking on the attachment. It'll give you a choice of size. But I enlarged the pic, it looks great!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back