frame primer question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frame that i used a grey primer on...however, i want to paint the bike red and realized i should have put a red primer on so the red will POP with the red primer undertones. My question is...should i sand the entire frame down to bare metal again or can i spray the red primer over the grey primer...maybe use two or three coats to really cover it up???

Also....i have an original red schwinn seat i plan on using...the seat is somewhat dirty, any tips on how to clean it up?

thanks

if you want the red to really POP, im guessing your wanting it to be a very bright brilliant red, then paint the frame white over top of your primer and thatll make the red stand out strong. hope that helps

Easy E

If your using clear base red the grey primer will be easier to cover then the white primer. :wink:

Also....i have an original red schwinn seat i plan on using...the seat is somewhat dirty, any tips on how to clean it up?
My preferred method is that Purple cleaner/degreaser that you can get at auto parts stores/hardware home centers etc. Give it a spray, let it soak in for a minute, then scrub it lightly with a soft bristle brush, and rinse thoroughly. Gotta do it outside, that stuff will close up your throat! I also use it on grips. ~Adam

thanks for all the of the helpful responses! i ended up just using a red primer over the grey primer. the bike turned out amazing! still letting the paint dry/cure. i get the parts for it wednesday, and will assemble it and pick up all the other parts the week after. hopefully i can find some riding time during this rainy Portland weather!

Latest posts

Back