Frame repair

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Schwinn Industrial from work. They were about to throw it out, but other than the following problem it looks pretty solid. It appears the kickstand was ripped off the frame. I can get basic welding done at work, but does this damage make the bike not worth messing with. I'm not looking for the perfect bike by no means, I just don't want to throw away a bunch of money if the bike is not worth the hassle.

Couldn't get the image to post.

http://postimg.org/image/xxxk7myil/

Chuck

Last edited:
Hardest part is going to be positioning the old pieces so you can weld them. Do you have access to a MIG welder or someone with one that could do the weld for ya?

I looked at the pic, I'd be more worried about the left side where it appears to have rotted away ahead of the kickstand. If it were mine, I would try to cut out half the tube lengthwise in that area and weld in a half tube from a junk bike frame or a piece of similar sized tubing. Do the ripped out hole from the kickstand at the same time with the same patch. Then do a smaller patch on the other side where the kickstand ripped out, and grind the welds smooth. A but weld patch would be best instead of overlapping the pieces. Then, grind the broken metal off the kickstand tube and reweld it to the repaired frame... OR use a bolt on kickstand once the frame is fixed.

Check the rest of the frame for rust damage...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. We have welders at work that should be able to take care of it, just wanted to know if it was worth the effort.

I'll look closely for rust damage after it gets sandblasted.

Chuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're going to weld a Schwinn tube kickstand back on, put the correct fender on the bike and attach it to the tab on the kickstand tube. That way you'll get it in the right position. Gary

what he said there's just too many of those frames around a mess around with that thing, literally you can buy those frames for a dime a dozen!
If you're going with a "rat" approach, sandwich the tubes with a top and bottom plate, drilled to accept a conventional kickstand. Or take advantage of the situation and let that become the starting point of a sliced and diced stretched frame.:cool2:

Or go super ratty, tape off those holes, bare metal seat pan, no handle grips. No paint either, spindles for pedals and let it drop to the ground where ever you decide to park it. Everyone will be jealous!

Latest posts

Back