FRAME STAY FENDER NOTCH-finished photos added in last post

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I bought a set of 26" cruiser fenders with the flared ends. This is a custom application so the rear fender won't be positioned where the manufactuer planned. So who has had success in putting a well formed ding in the fender to make clearance for the frame stay. Thanks, guys

Re: FRAME STAY FENDER NOTCH

Thanks Markm, but I don't want to remove any metal! I simply want to indent the fender like the factory. Here are 2 photos as an example!
In this pic the indent is clearly visible

IMGP1416.jpg

This pic shows the indent in place with the frame stay passing through it.

IMGP1415.jpg

So has anyone done this in their shop and not have it look like a hack job? Thanks again!

FWIW - I have not done it, but I have a lot of success repairing mangled sheetmetal parts. If I were to set about doing this, I would make a female form to fit inside and a male plug to fit outside and tap it in. I would cut the form out of scraps of 2X4 I leave lying around. The male plug might be a piece of wooden dowel, a broom handle, a socket, or wood cut to specs. Take your time, think it through.

I do em with a small rail road dolly and a nylon ball peen, just get the dolly in the right spot and smack it a few times till its enough... :roll:

THANKS!!!!! To all of you! I used all of the ideas, a little of this, a little of that! It worked well and I did get the look I was wanting! I took a few photos so you can see how it turned out!

IMGP1417.jpg

IMGP1419.jpg

IMGP1418.jpg

Now the truth! Do any of my fellow Sting-Ray nuts think that it looks like the beginings of a 26" Krate? Again, thanks guys!
Don't know why the last 2 are blurry, they're clear on photobucket!

Now the truth! Do any of my fellow Sting-Ray nuts think that it looks like the beginings of a 26" Krate?

I have been thinking something similar. Would like to reproduce my old bike but more my size now.
1970bike.jpg

Latest posts

Back