Frankenstein (kinda) lives!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you build with three parts bikes, an ATV chain, a welder and a gear from a manure spreader?? He ain't pretty but covers 32' per pedal revolution.
IMG_20221104_164023312.jpg

Yeah. I had a friend with a CNC. He made it.
The sprocket teeth do not line up perfectly with the chain. Works but slips. Problem 763 yet to resolve.

Yeah. I had a friend with a CNC. He made it.
The sprocket teeth do not line up perfectly with the chain. Works but slips. Problem 763 yet to resolve.
Since you used a farm implement piece for the chain ring that's probably the issue. There are quite literally dozens of different chain pitch used in farm implements. 35, 41, 42, 2060 etc

Since you used a farm implement piece for the chain ring that's probably the issue. There are quite literally dozens of different chain pitch used in farm implements. 35, 41, 42, 2060 etc
Yeah. It is truly a 'rat rod'. When we got the sprocket, we didn't have the chain to compare it to. Looked really close, and it is close, but not perfect so some teeth line up then the rest don't.
My grandson and I have been working on this for quite a while.

I can prepare you a file for a sprocket that would align well.
Wow! Let me know what you need from me. I no longer have the friend with the CNC. (moved away), but I can find someone else or you, if you have one.
I will gladly pay for the help.
I am not too computer literate, but can struggle through the basics.

Wow! Let me know what you need from me. I no longer have the friend with the CNC. (moved away), but I can find someone else or you, if you have one.
I will gladly pay for the help.
I am not too computer literate, but can struggle through the basics.
I can lasercut a sprocket for you out of stainless steel, no problem. What i need is the amount of teeth desired and that's pretty much it. Let me know if you want to keep the design you have or if i should come up with some other custom pattern for it :)
Do i understand right, the chain you run has same size as regular bicycle chain (1/2" long, 1/8" wide) but with thicker links?

Hi, yeah. My grandson and I just went out and measured the chain. It has 1/2" links and 1/8" wide. The chain is an ATV chain which is wider, like you said. There are 84 teeth. It's pretty (ridiculously) large.
The manure spreader gear for some reason does not jive perfectly with the chain, even though they both have 1/2" teeth/links. ?? Not sure why. You may understand that better.
Our end goal is a very fast top end bike. (We dream of reaching 50mph). In fact, once we get the chain situation figured out, we are going to weld a rear bumper then build another bike with a front bumper to push it to ten mph, to get it going.
What is your name? If you are interested in this project, we would love to give you some business.
If it is something you don't wish to take on, that is fine also.
We live in Wisconsin, I'd be more than happy to pay you for your expertise, work and shipping.
Thanks for your time,
Greg and Sammy.

Hi, yeah. My grandson and I just went out and measured the chain. It has 1/2" links and 1/8" wide. The chain is an ATV chain which is wider, like you said. There are 84 teeth. It's pretty (ridiculously) large.
The manure spreader gear for some reason does not jive perfectly with the chain, even though they both have 1/2" teeth/links. ?? Not sure why. You may understand that better.
Our end goal is a very fast top end bike. (We dream of reaching 50mph). In fact, once we get the chain situation figured out, we are going to weld a rear bumper then build another bike with a front bumper to push it to ten mph, to get it going.
What is your name? If you are interested in this project, we would love to give you some business.
If it is something you don't wish to take on, that is fine also.
We live in Wisconsin, I'd be more than happy to pay you for your expertise, work and shipping.
Thanks for your time,
Greg and Sammy.
My name is Sergey :)
The reason for the issue you are experiencing is i guess the shape of the teeth. Depending on the amount of teeth their shape should be slightly corrected. The tooth on 14t can't be exactly same profile as the tooth on 84t. My guess is (though i can not be 100% sure without seeing and measuring it) that your friend took a shape of some standard sprocket as an example and multiplied the teeth without making those shape corrections, and now the sprocket just can't take the whole chain well. The other reason could be the scale. If the teeth are made, for example, in 101% scale instead of 100% that would be very hard to see or measure, but enough of a difference to lead to an effect like you have. I've done both of the mistakes mentioned above in past, when experimenting with making my first sprockets :)
I now use automatic CAD software that generates the shape of the sprockets i cut, instead of building the initial design by hand using existing teeth profiles and multiplying them. So far all the sprockets i've made this way work perfectly, so i see no reason not to trust this method :)
I am located in Poland, but i can easily ship you the part. Also if you need any more lasercut parts let me know, it would be easy to combine them in one package.

Sergey, yes thank you for the response.
Please go ahead with the project. I am not too particular about the inside design, so that is up to you.
Do you need measurements for the center hole? Or are they all the same? (We are not bicycle pros). It's a run-of-the-mill 20" huffy.
And of course, payment. Let me know how you would like that accomplished. If you need anything down, just let me know or I can pay you for everything including shipping when it is completed.
We have a future plan for a 120 tooth sprocket for "the son of Frankenstein". If it is within my budget, maybe we can have you cut that one as well.
Thank you so much!
Anything you need and payment method, just let me know.
Greg and Sammy.

Sergey, yes thank you for the response.
Please go ahead with the project. I am not too particular about the inside design, so that is up to you.
Do you need measurements for the center hole? Or are they all the same? (We are not bicycle pros). It's a run-of-the-mill 20" huffy.
And of course, payment. Let me know how you would like that accomplished. If you need anything down, just let me know or I can pay you for everything including shipping when it is completed.
We have a future plan for a 120 tooth sprocket for "the son of Frankenstein". If it is within my budget, maybe we can have you cut that one as well.
Thank you so much!
Anything you need and payment method, just let me know.
Greg and Sammy.
PayPal payment is fine for me. I prepare the design for you for 15 usd. I think approximate production cost for a piece that big would be 50 usd (maybe slightly less, and rather shouldn't end up being more), shipping should be under 20. However i can tell you exact price once i confirm the design with a friend who runs the laser for me, it would depend on the finished part weight. 120 teeth would be slightly more expensive, again because of the weight.
What i offer here is raw stainless steel, matte finish. If you want it powder coated or polished - this could also be done.
No need to measure the center hole, those are standard.

So, $170 usd would probably cover both sprockets and shipping??
Let me know if I am close. I can do this.
If you want to give me your PayPal info via my email address, I can send you a payment or if you want to wait until you are ready to ship, then you can weigh it. so you don't short change yourself, that is fine. I am not in a huge rush.
Thanks, Greg.

Latest posts

Back