Free 29er... ...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
OK, so I might have fibbed a little about the 29er, but it is a bike with 700c wheels, so that's just a tire swap away from a 29er.

Anyway, I don't post much in the fresh finds anymore because most of what I get is garbage, and lots of it, but every once in a while I get something cool, like this old Giant Nutra fitness bike. 700c wheels, rigid cromoly frame, canti brakes, trigger shifters, rear rack, just a sweet bike. With a new chain and some tires (or maybe just air) I could have this bike riding tomorrow.

It's got a DREADFUL tall stem on it, though I bet some of you might want to buy it from me. :wink:

nutra1.jpg

nutra2.jpg

I also got the Mongoose behind it, but like I said, most of what I get is just parts so I don't talk about them.

Actually that would make a nice adventure touring bike. I mean steel is the material of choice for touring bikes. It looks like it has the clearance for decent size tires. Adventure touring bikes are like road bikes with fat tires. Check out the Salsa Fargo or Salsa Vaya. My Vaya will run 700X45 (maybe larger) tires although for urban riding and touring, I usually go with something like a 700X37. It looks like you have a triple up front which is great for loaded down touring. If it were mine, I would clean it up, put on a cheap set of trekking bars add a set of beefy 700c tires (maybe 37 or 42?), find some fenders and make a killer urban do everything bike. You should be able to use the same shifters/brake levers with trekking bars.

Seriously man…I think you could really turn that into something sweet. Touring is a blast…even if it is just an overnight bikepacking adventure. I am heading out for a three day trip on the Great Allegheny Passage on my touring bike. Going to have about 30-35lbs of gear loaded on the bike!

The tires on it are 700x40, and it has decent clearance, it's just the price of 700c tires scares me to death!

Just looked and I can get a trekking bar for about $20, not bad. I have no money for tires, but I have a used set of 700s off of a Trek comfort bike that I'm going to check out for this thing. Not sure how long I'll keep it, but this is definitely staying together. The guy I got it from had it from the original owner (a friend of his that passed away), and he said he had over $500 in the bike about 20 years ago, so it must have been decent. I'm guessing Giant was made in the USA back then? I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure Giant was Taiwanese from the beginning. The factory had always made bikes for other brands, and then decided to market their own brand. Taiwanese bikes are very good quality.

I am pretty sure I have a set of Michelin All City 700-32 commuter tires that you can have if you want. I am not sure where I got them, but I was swapping out my tires the other day for my upcoming trip and I’m pretty sure they were still hanging on the tire hook. They are awesome heavy duty tires for in/around town. They roll really well. I used them a little this spring and really liked them. PM me your address and I’ll get them out to you. I’m going out of town tomorrow till Tuesday, but I’ll try to get it out to you before I leave.

The bars you have probably would work fine, but trekkers are really cool. Lots of hand positions for long days on the bike. I think you might find that this will be one of your favorite bikes. I use steel roadie for everything. Run to the store, get a haircut, ride to work, etc.

Terry66 said:
The bars you have probably would work fine, but trekkers are really cool. Lots of hand positions for long days on the bike. I think you might find that this will be one of your favorite bikes. I use steel roadie for everything. Run to the store, get a haircut, ride to work, etc.

I use to have a set of "bar ends" made by profile that was actually 1 bar that attached in the bar ends, gave you hand protection and infinite hand positions, wish I still had those. I will definitely swap out the tall stem.

Ratfink1962 said:
Cool bike.... Nutria? :lol:

Close, but no rodent.

cman said:
Just need some fenders for a nice commuters.

I might actually look into it, but my "commute" is less than half a mile. haha

tin machine said:
you can buy any kind of tire you want brand new and cheap at the concord flea market in the bay area , i loaded up when i was out there !!! cool bike thats the kind of stuff that makes money !! back in south tallahassee " Aerosmith " :wink:

what!! you met the old fat tire guy! he's my pusher...he can get anything you ask for in a week. I wish I knew you were out here.. :(

Latest posts

Back