Free Chain?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A while back someone was looking for a long piece of chain for a tall bike. My garage door openers each have an 8' or 10' piece of chain used for the drive. I have a Chamberlain and a Sears. (Sears is made by Chamberlain)
When someone has a new opener installed, the installer normally takes the old one and throws it in the company dumpster. I think if you looked in Overhead Door's dumpster on occasion, I bet you would find some chain from old Chamberlain or Sears openers. Better yet, talk to one of the installers and have him save you some. Gary

Oh man i install garage door openers all the time, i consider the chain and scrap metal my bonus money :D, in fact im just about done with my beer bike and used some metal from the opener for the sadlebags bracket, also used the chain :mrgreen:. pictures coming soon.

Great Idea. The donated bikes coming into the Boise Bike Project always have rusty and unuseable chains. I just called the local Overhead Door. They currently recycle but would be willing to donate.

Been using this chain for 4 years. Starting to run out and got to look for more . I always said that it was never in the rain or dirt and is oiled all the time. Never abused. If you think of it it only gets used a couple times a day and we're talking feet not miles. :wink:

GL

cman, don't forget to tell the guy at Overhead to save the master links too. My new unit has one on one end of the chain but my older unit has one at each end of the chain. Gary

B607- Thanks for the tip on Masterlinks but somehow they may not save them. He started talking about bolt cutters :cry:

Latest posts

Back