Freebies

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went and picked up a bunch of freebies today. End up with these 4

and these was on 2 other bikes I got in the same haul that had been ran over.
The one on the left says shimano 3s and the other says shimano sg-3S30 on the housings

I don't think I've found 4 free neat old bikes together...EVER.
Lots of patina, parts and potential there.
That little one in the front has the perfect crust.

I'm pretty sure this is the intended shifter for that style of hub, but you could probably fab something up in a pinch. Rumor has it that a three-speed twist grip will work, too, but the numbers might be reversed. That sounds reasonable to me...just set the shifter to "second" and adjust the cable until the bellcrank indicator is centered. A subsequent increase or decrease in cable tension should cause the hub to shift up or down.

images

I'm pretty sure this is the intended shifter for that style of hub, but you could probably fab something up in a pinch. Rumor has it that a three-speed twist grip will work, too, but the numbers might be reversed. That sounds reasonable to me...just set the shifter to "second" and adjust the cable until the bellcrank indicator is centered. A subsequent increase or decrease in cable tension should cause the hub to shift up or down.

images

That is the style used on the 3S hub for sure. I have a bike that came original with a 3S hub using that style shifter. Colors are a little different on the dial but same shifter. IIRC the older style thumb shifters like Rusty Sprockets shows in the pic will work on the newer Nexus 3 hubs as well. My guess is your sg-3S30 hub uses the same thumb shifter.

Latest posts

Back