Freewheel disassembly?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I have a late 60's Shimano 333 freewheel. I've taken the cogs off because they are rusted and nasty. I'm imagining that the freewheel mechanism is pretty bad inside there, even though it works. Should I:

A) Disassemble it to overhaul the guts?

B) Just lube the crevices with oil to get it inside the mechanism?

- If 'A', how?

- If 'B', what should I use?

I would not try overhauling a freewheel. Shops dont' do it either.

Soak in a degreaser. Then dry with rags and compressed air. Then soak in lube.

cman said:
I would not try overhauling a freewheel. Shops dont' do it either.

Soak in a degreaser. Then dry with rags and compressed air. Then soak in lube.
What kind of lube? I would think the bearings in there would want grease? But I can't see how to squeeze any in there.

I've never used PB-50. Good stuff? Does it last?

^^^^ What CMAN Said ^^^^^

If its nasty and rusty and I want to save it, get a 18 volt drill or so, get a 4 inch wire wheel and clean. I leave the free wheel installed on the wheel, and clean away. Use it in both directions, Clean up with WD-40 and add light oil to the internals and keep spinning till it sounds better and clean up excess oil.

Now the wire wheel on the drill will only get the surface rust and grime off, I use a park cassette tool, cleaner brush to get the deep grime and sludge off. If the bike has been in the weeds for a while I'll remove the cog and use a propane torch to get the weeds out.
But not enough to melt the plastic spacers between the gears.

Just be careful and not burn down your house

Wire Brush on the drill.

DSCN1888_zpseb005727.jpg

The Park Tool Cog Cleaner and Brush

DSCN1889_zpsf897de3e.jpg

And add light oil here. I'm Pointing to the area to add the oil. To much and will drip out for a while on your wheel and tire.

DSCN1890_zpsa8e1047d.jpg

Latest posts

Back