Freewheel remover?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this Raleigh 10 speed that I want to remove the freewheel from. What tool do I need?
20230529_193350.jpg

You’ll need a chain whip too to keep the freewheel from spinning while you loosen it.

Hmmmm. I usually just clamp the freewheel tool in the vice, grab the wheel and pretend I'm trying to steer my dad's old Scout with non-power steering. 😀

Hmmmm. I usually just clamp the freewheel tool in the vice, grab the wheel and pretend I'm trying to steer my dad's old Scout with non-power steering. 😀
Perfect! Just remember that this tool's tiny fingers are prone to slipping, causing damage to both the freewheel and the tool. Secure it in place, as suggested, until you break the chokehold. Then remove the nut.

As noted this remover slips out under pressure. the axle nut just needs to be just touching to break it loose. Then remove nut and spin the freewheel off. Holding the freewheel tool in a big solid vise is by far the best way. Next is a large 18" or larger crescent wrench.

Latest posts

Back