TRADITIONAL ⚡️⚡️⚡️THUNDERBOLT⚡️⚡️⚡️

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all! Nice to see a good crowd of builders this year! I needed a project. Looks like some good competition with this style of frame this year. I had a DNF in the previous MBBO, so hopefully I can hit this deadline. This men’s Hawthorne bicycle is what I will start with, along with the Monark Silver King fork. I have a seat I plan to use and a few other goodies. Since the fork and frame look as if they were meant to be together, I may not paint. I look forward to seeing everyone’s builds. Let’s have some fun!
IMG_4922.jpeg
IMG_4677.png
IMG_4623.jpeg
IMG_5290.jpeg
Thun

Last edited:
Hey all! Nice to see a good crowd of builders this year! I needed a project. Looks like some good competition with this style of frame this year. I had a DNF in the previous MBBO, so hopefully I can hit this deadline. This men’s Hawthorne bicycle is what I will start with, along with the Monark Silver King fork. I have a seat I plan to use and a few other goodies. Since the fork and frame look as if they were meant to be together, I may not paint. I look forward to seeing everyone’s builds. Let’s have some fun! View attachment 263901View attachment 263902View attachment 263903View attachment 263905
That's a pretty good start to put it mildly.

Your frame is just like my 42 Hawthorne, made by Snyder. The serial number on the BB has the year and place it was made, in reverse. Mine was 24 EH, Michigan City, Indiana 1942. 14 SN would be Little Falls, NY 1941.

I don't have that bike but I have the Hawthorne chain wheel, skiptooth chain and the early Bendix coaster hub that was on it when I got it. No rim. I have the fork but it's not straight enough and too long to ship.
215936-42548-dfcaa5fa48622a6c63bac75fee4bd386---Copy.jpg

They could fit in a flat rate box and be shipped when I visit Hawaii at the end of June. Maybe we could make a deal.:bigboss:

Your frame is just like my 42 Hawthorne, made by Snyder. The serial number on the BB has the year and place it was made, in reverse. Mine was 24 EH, Michigan City, Indiana 1942. 14 SN would be Little Falls, NY 1941.

I don't have that bike but I have the Hawthorne chain wheel, skiptooth chain and the early Bendix coaster hub that was on it when I got it. No rim. I have the fork but it's not straight enough and too long to ship.
View attachment 263911

They could fit in a flat rate box and be shipped when I visit Hawaii at the end of June. Maybe we could make a deal.:bigboss:
Very cool! I wish I had the skip tooth items. I do have a heart chainring let’s keep talking about those items. It would be late in the build but might be something I need. I’ll keep in touch. 👍🏼 I wish I could be in Hawaii then.

Very cool! I wish I had the skip tooth items. I do have a heart chainring let’s keep talking about those items. It would be late in the build but might be something I need. I’ll keep in touch. 👍🏼 I wish I could be in Hawaii then.
Shipping from here would be way too much and not reliable. Using a flat rate box in the states will keep the shipping cost around 30 bucks. I'll take a pic and put them in the buy/sell section. I'm just looking for bike parts that could be shipped to Hawaii the same way. Red band hubs, mag chain wheels, etc, those things that don't take up space. But I'm only there in Hawaii for 2 weeks so it'll be hard to coordinate.

View attachment 263911

I really dig your 42. I would like to find the serial numbers on this bike but I would have to remove quite a bit of paint to get to it. I think it’s a Wards Hawthorne. My drop outs are different than yours and I believe to be prewar. Let me know what you think. ✌🏻
IMG_4929.jpeg

That's prewar, same dropouts. Restrictions on manufacture began in early 1942. You had to submit a request to buy a new bike.
A Hawthorne is the same frame, sold by Wards, but made by Snyder who also made Rollfast.

View attachment 264143

View attachment 264144Thank you for all that information!👍🏼
I bought a Rollfast badge and a Wards Hawthorn badge but not sure if either would be correct.

😎 I’m curious now to know how I would go about doing that. 🤔
I used stool leg rubber feet. Some come with a hole already drilled in them, or it's easy to do. They serve as a 'top out' cushion to take away that 'chank' sound over bumps, but also add some extra compression to the springs. I may try something like this on my longspring saddle on Quasi-Moto as well. Those old springs weren't really designed for grown man dimensions of 225 lbs and 6 ft+ leverage! :wink1:

Here is the fork on 'Hawth of Another Color' build I did. It's a repop Monark, but the application is the same. The ivory colored bumpers under the top nuts on the fork legs. I believe I also added the black harder rubber spacers with washers under the bracket as well.

monark fork with bumpers spacers.jpg

I used stool leg rubber feet. Some come with a hole already drilled in them, or it's easy to do. They serve as a 'top out' cushion to take away that 'chank' sound over bumps, but also add some extra compression to the springs. I may try something like this on my longspring saddle on Quasi-Moto as well. Those old springs weren't really designed for grown man dimensions of 225 lbs and 6 ft+ leverage! :wink1:

Here is the fork on 'Hawth of Another Color' build I did. It's a repop Monark, but the application is the same. The ivory colored bumpers under the top nuts on the fork legs. I believe I also added the black harder rubber spacers with washers under the bracket as well.

View attachment 264245
Thank you for the great ideas. I’m right at 200 lbs and wondered how this fork would react to heavier weight. I’m not as tall as you though. ✌🏻

Back